Ah, the smell of ATF...

I hate automatic transmission fluid, I really do. Foul stuff, and seems to be a more persistent stain than most. As such, the look, smell, and texture of the stuff is permanently burned into my brain. So when it came time to do a fluid change on the transfer case of my brother's 1994 Wrangler YJ, I was naturally disappointed to see it required ATF. Damn I hate that stuff.

According to the shop manual, it has an NP231 transfer case in it (this is with a manual 5 speed transmission behind a 4.0L engine) which is to be filled with Dexron-II ATF. However, when I drained the thing, it didn't have what I normally know to be ATF in it... instead of being a dark ruby red, this stuff was more sort of a brownish color. Didn't look like gear oil, though, or engine oil for that matter. It was still the right thickness for ATF, and had a similar feel, but didn't stink nearly as bad and wasn't even close in color (even for used fluid). I'm pretty sure the transfer case was replaced after the accident, and that the fluid was in all likelihood quite new. Plus I wouldn't think the repair shop would have put in the wrong type of fluid... they seemed to be on the ball about most everything, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

My question is, is there some type of specialized ATF-ish fluid that frequently finds its way into the transfer cases of Jeeps in place of normal Dexron-II ATF? Like something that might look and smell different that's better formulated for transfer cases than regular old ATF? I went ahead and refilled the case with a Dexron-II compatible fluid, but for future reference I'd like to know if there's some better fluid to use. Thanks in advance for any info!

Bryan

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

L.W.(ßill)

The color change probably just indicated the oil was old. The T case is far less picky about what kind of ATF goes in, unlike an auto trans.

Maybe at one point a drone at Jiffy Lube topped it off with 90 weight.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo