GC - Clunk in the Trunk

'99 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L 4x4 116k miles

Noticing a clunk in the rear end (primarily passenger rear) when I go over slighest bump. Not alarming but annoying. The clunk does appear to be drive train related but more suspension related.

Thought appreciated.

Chip L

Reply to
Chip L

exhaust hitting the axle. Check the hangers to see if they have broken or gone missing. You can usually see a shiny spot on the exhaust tube.

Then check the sway bar mounts for any cracks, it's more usual for the front ones but the rears could crack.

Reply to
DougW

In my '02 it was the jack underneath the spare tire.

Tightening helped but it would become lose again in a short time. The solution for over a year now was to cushion the jack with bits of old carpeting and strapping the jack down with plastic zip ties.

Reply to
billy ray

Thx billy ray, I checked the spare and it seemed secure but the car is new to me and didn't realize the jack was under the spare.

Chip

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Chip L

Thx Doug. I'll check it out. The car seems well suspended so it wouldn't suprise me if the problem was something loose.

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Chip L

Had the same problem. Upper shock bushings.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Chip L proclaimed:

I had one that drove me nuts. Finally spotted it by noticing the bottom of the exhaust was just a bit shiny where it curved up over the rear axle. The rubber hanger at the rear of the exhaust was just old. Sounded just like a loose shock mount.

Reply to
Lon

I had the same problem, once I dumped the body, the clunk in the trunk was gone.

*WEG*

Kate

06 frozen mudball (someplace under all that crud is a Jeep, I'm sure of it)
Reply to
Kate