And on the seventh day GOD created JEEP

Hello ! This is my first Jeep I have A 99 TJ with the 4cyl 5speed it has 114,328 miles on it and it's time to change out the motor.Can anyone leed me in the right direction on where to get A new motor?

Reply to
SILKY

That question cannot be answered properly without knowing exactly what is wrong with the existing engine. In most cases, the correct answer is a local rebuilder with a reputation for quality work, but maybe all you need is a set of spark plugs.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

I wish thats all it was but it's not the original owner did not take care of the motor or anything else and if that's not bad enough the block has one good size crack in it.At one point the oil pan was crushed.This has been thought out I've been all over town getting quote's and I think my money would be better spent on A new motor with A warranty.

Reply to
SILKY

The only place to get a "new" engine is the Jeep dealer. I don't even know whether Jeep supplies the complete engine as a replacement part. Cracks can be repaired but not all of them. The best method in my opinion is brazing, but you have to use the correct technique. I would be looking for a rebuildable or usable engine from a recycler. If you buy a rebuilt from a company that does them all the time, then you stand the chance of getting

0.040" cylinder walls and a 0.040" under crank, in other words an engine that will probably run for the length of the warranty, but cannot be rebuilt again and would be worthless as a core.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle I would love to find that Craftsman that you speek of I would send it to him in A heartbeat.After talking to the peopl that I got quote's from,10 in all I walked away all they wanted was my money.That's why I turned to replace the engine well and all of the drivetrain is new now execetp the engine.I put alot of money into my Jeep this is the last thing I need to do and the most important.She's A head turner all I want is the very best for her.

SILKY...

Reply to
SILKY

Find a JASPER motor dealer in your area you can get a complete motor (remanufactured) minus the intake system, use your existing motor as a core charge. I have put in several JASPER motors with 12 month 12K mileage warranty with no issues. One I did for a friend some years back and it is still running good. Make sure the motor vin code is correct for the OBC other wise you will have to spend an extre $350.00 for a new OBC.

Reply to
Coasty

Last time I checked, the dealer sells engines for a competitive price with a warranty. They are worth a check so you have local warranty help.

Rebuilders are a dime a dozen and 'lots' are just scammers that do really shoddy work. Are there any local car clubs or 4x4 clubs in your area? They could be good for local references.

Mike

Mike Romain

Chad Fraker

If you are considering paying a mechanic, find a local Jeep club. Ask them who does good work, and who is a waste of money. Start there.

Reply to
ibuildthings