'89 Camry wagon brake light wierdness

Got a strange issue with my '89 Camry's tail/brake lights.

With the parking/headlights off, both brake lights work fine.

With the parking/headlights on, one side works fine, while the other goes completely dark.

I've replaced the bulb, and the issue persists, any ideas?

Reply to
initium

You have a grounding problem with the offending light assembly.

Remove the light and clean the ground connection. Typically, one of the screws that holds the light assembly to the fender also provides the ground. Clean the area with emory cloth or equivelent.

The running lights and the brake lights share a common ground, and there are two filiments in the bulb. When you apply the brakes while the running lamps are OFF, the ground to the brake filiment is provided through the running light circuit, and even through a different bulb in the circuit. When the running lights are ON, then there is 12V sitting where there is 0V when the lights are OFF. Since there is 12V, and yoiu apply another 12V when you apply the brakes, then there is no difference in potential on the brake light filiment, and the light bulb goes out.

Before you chase down flaky grounds, you should swap the bulbs from side to side to be sure the problem doesn't follow the bulb itself. You could have taken out a bad bulb and put in another bad bulb.

Reply to
J Strickland

I'll try this, thanks!

Sounds reasonable. The offending side is also quite dim compared to the side that works fine. A bad ground would make perfect sense.

I've already swapped the bulbs, and the problem is isolated to the one side. If the first suggestion doesn't work, it looks like I'll be spending the weekend with a multimeter.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.

Reply to
initium

Check you grounds, WBMA

mike hunt