Brake light mystery

99 JGC. If I step on the brake pedal, both left and right rear brake lights work fine. However, when I turn on the headlights (tail lights work fine) and step on the brake, my left rear light completely goes out (both the tail light and brake light are off). Any ideas on what's wrong?

I know it's a single bulb, but why is it tuning off?

Thanks

Reply to
Jeep Guy

Short circuit in the wiring to the left brake light?

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Bad ground(s)... Check the left rear ground.

Reply to
PeterD

Bad ground, either at the light sockets or at the grounding point in the rear. It helps to have a FSM wiring diagram, which tend to be more accurate than the typical Chiltons.

Reply to
Lon

Classic symptoms of a bad ground.

Reply to
RoyJ

pedal, both left and right rear brake lights

Short ciruits produce heat, smoke, fire, blown fuse and or a tripped circuit breaker...

open/poor ground !

Reply to
Gene

pedal, both left and right rear brake lights

Which could be inside one of the bulbs.

Reply to
Lon

pedal, both left and right rear brake lights

Is it one of these types of blubs?

I'd be checking the wiring harness and any connectors for corrosion.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks to all for your help. Apparently this is a problem with WJs. The contact in the bulb receptacle wears out or gets misaligned. The fix is pretty easy although I have no idea how long it will last. I wonder if my lights were built by the UAW stoners featured in that news story? That would make sense. What is it with Chrysler? I hope they build a better car now that they have all of my tax money.

Jeep Guy