Auto trany leaks out fluid

Why would a TF999 in a YJ leak out fluid from the vent when its not showed as full. I have an external vent, so I know it coming from there. The dip stick shows 1 quart low. I put a quart in it and most of it blew out the external vent. made a mess and a lot of smoke. I used ATF type 4 fluid.

If different fluids types are mixed, can it cause a swelling of the fluid or foaming? I know water can, but I have not been in water. The current fluid is 3 years old with maybe 5K on it.

Reply to
Bob

RiverRunner66 via CarKB.com

When I see or hear things like that, it usually means either water has hit the fluid in which case it would be a milkshake like stuff or the filter has blocked up or it's just overfull.

How are the lines up to the radiator cooler? Could one of those gotten pinched?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Why would a TF999 in a YJ leak out fluid from the vent when its not showed
Reply to
Mike Romain

Be sure the transmission is at normal operating temp and the vehicle parked on a level surface when checking. Some transmissions require the engine running and the trans in park to check. Also, be sure your dipstick measures in quarts instead of pints like some do. You may have simply overfilled it. Read your owners manual.

Good luck Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

In article , Bob wrote: #Why would a TF999 in a YJ leak out fluid from the vent when its not showed #as full. I have an external vent, so I know it coming from there. The dip #stick shows 1 quart low. I put a quart in it and most of it blew out the #external vent. made a mess and a lot of smoke. I used ATF type 4 fluid. # #If different fluids types are mixed, can it cause a swelling of the fluid or #foaming? I know water can, but I have not been in water. The current fluid #is 3 years old with maybe 5K on it.

5K in 3 years?

How long did you let the car warm up before adding in the fluid?

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

It was 10 minutes. After relooking at the stick, I relized I added 1 quart when it said 1 pt low. Would not think 1 pint would cause this issue, but what do I know.

I will change the fluid and gasket again and see what happens. I will also run a hose from the external vent line into an overflow tank. Just incase it happens again, it will prevent it from smoking or catching on fire.

Reply to
Bob