AX5 problems

Folks, I have recently purchased my first Wrangler. It is a 92 4cyl 4wd - stock. I was able to get it cheap because of a slight issue - it does not go into gear. My understanding is that it started out not going into 5th gear. Then, all at once, it would not go into any gear and is currently stuck in neutral. This is a toy for my first, and do not plan on off roading. What I would like to do is to repair this as cheaply as possible and move on to some body work. These are my questions: I have heard that the syncros would cause it to not go into gear. What other problems could it be. I can "feel" the clutch engage and disengage when running. I have done many engine rebuilds in the past amoung other repairs but have always avoided trannys. Are there other things that I can check prior to dropping it? Can I rebuild the tranny myself if patient? Once I drop the tranny, how do I tell what the problem may be or if the syncros are bad? Any input is helpful. Thanks

Reply to
Thilder via CarKB.com

Usually if a syncro goes out, you will grind the gears when trying to put it in gear, it sounds like you may have a bent or broke shift fork within the trans. I have never delt with a trans out of a jeep, so I can't say how hard it is to pull, but if you have the service manual for the Jeep, it should walk you through a rebuild if necessary, another option would be a wrecking yard for a used trans.

Kevin in Iowa

99XJ
Reply to
Kevin in Iowa

Sometimes the plate that holds the shifter just comes loose or the bushing at the bottom of the shifter fails. This can let the shifter jump out of it's slot and jam things up.

I would start by opening the floor plate and coming down from the top to see if it is an easy fix.

Mike

"Thilder via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The shifter isnt jammed rigid in its slot. It does move from side to side in its "normal" range. While running, I even tried to move the shifter to see if I could feel or hear a grind and it doesnt go that far into any gear. I pulled the shifter and the bushing at the end seems fine. I also pulled the cap plate and took a look inside. The first thing I noticed when pulling the shifter was small chunks that I thought at first was metal. But they break apart easily with a fingernail. It appeared to be buildup or "gunk" but might be a seal or rubber piece? They were caked around the shifter ball. The inside under the cap looks good and clean. I did notice one thing though while looking. The shaft immediately under what looks to be a "rocker arm" with a bolt in it - the very first set of teeth that is apart of the shaft before the c-ring looks to be missing teeth on the very top. Is that correct?

It is not smooth as if it were cast without the teeth. It looks almost chipped or broken. The gear immediately in front of that appears to be in good shape. Does any of this make sense?

Reply to
Thilder via CarKB.com