Can I make my TJ sound like a badass?

Is there any good exhause setups that will make my TJ 4.0 sound cool? I like the V8 dual exhause tat-tat-tat-tat sound. Can that be done or is it impossible with the 6 cylinder 4.0?

Reply to
User Example

User Example did pass the time by typing:

cat-back.

Reply to
DougW

Take a coffee can, spray paint it silver, and clamp it to the end of your exhaust pipe.

The bigger the coffee can the more powerful the result.

I think Mike has verified improvements of over 25%.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:

50 HP gain.

DougW

Take a coffee can, spray paint it silver, and clamp it to the end of your exhaust pipe.

The bigger the coffee can the more powerful the result.

I think Mike has verified improvements of over 25%.

Actually...... go to you corner auto parts store and get whatever brand of "Cherry Bomb" style glasspack muffler they carry. You will get that 'growl" for about $20 + clamps

Billy Ray

That is truly awesome. I will do that!

Reply to
User Example

Get a flowmaster and a boom tube. Then you can drive by auto shops and watch the techs crack up. Something funny about the way that setup makes an I-6 sound.

Reply to
Paul Calman

I was hoping to stay away from those stupid things. I want a real exhaust, not a noisemaker attachment.

Reply to
User Example

Usually people who want the vehicle to sound "badass" are all over those things.

Reply to
B a r r y

How about actually focusing on real capability instead of just posing? It's a jeep, take it out into the woods and actually climb something instead of trying to impress the other nitwits cruising through the city.

Reply to
wkearney99

And when you tear the exhaust off, it will sound 'badass'

Reply to
Steve Foley

The drone of my bigblock thru cherrybombs got old after a few minutes. While it may impress the boys in front of the highschool, I started wearing earplugs as my ears would ring after an hour or so. Putting good mufflers on made it much more enjoyable to drive.

Reply to
Paul Calman

I agree but he wants it loud.

If I was interested in wringing a extra couple horsepower balance with silence I would consider a standard construction "shorty" muffler which would be quiet at low/mid RPMs but a bit louder at wide open throttle. As I very rarely go to WOT I wouldn't hear much difference.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Power makes Noise, Noise doesn't make power. It's an I6 not a big block.

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Then you should be listening to some of the muffler sounds.

I like the Dynomax 'SuperTurbo' high flow muffler's sound. It is quiet enough driving around, but put it in low and start climbing hills and lots of folks have mistaken the growl coming out of my 258 as a V8 sound.

But then I also have a straight pipe leading to the dynomax because my CJ7 doesn't require a cat.

Or you can put a V8 in it and have the 'real' sound...... ;-)

Mike

Mike Romain

You can make it sound like a Bad Ass, but it's much easier to make it sound like a dumb ass.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The Borla is OK, as are Banks and Gibson. I have a Banks, possibly the nicest thing about it is the fit with the factory hangers, but suspect any good cat back system would be similar. Other than the fart can variants. I make no big claims of power boost as it came on the thing when we bought it. However, it seems to work and appears to be holding up much better than the original jeep pieces of exhaust all of which have been replaced since I got the thing.

Reply to
Lon

If you ever see an I-6 with a JRE, Clifford, or Hesco badge, you might want to make sure that panty-assed pink Mucking Fustang of yours is well tuned first.

Pi-Eyed Piper proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Oh BUT you must not forget the yellow stickers, they are good for at least

50 hp. A NOS sticker, in yellow is worth it's weight in rice!
Reply to
SVTKate