Replacing wheel bearings in 96 GC

Axle is Dana 35c with 3.73 differential on a 96 Grand Cherokee.

Is a special tool required to pull the outer wheel bearings, etc., out of the axle for replacement? Or is there a way to improvise and avoid purchasing the special Miller tools listed in the service manual? I'm still driving it and haven't taken the wheel off and axle out yet. Like to get advice first.

Thanks for any help.

Troy

Reply to
Bill

L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Steve G

Troy,

Not sure if its the stock wheel bearing you are referring to or not, but on my '96 xj i had to replace the front left, i was able to pull it off with a 2 prong puller from sears, if your jeep lived up north for any amount of time this may be quite a b$tch, make sure to have giant piece of pipe to get enough leverage on the axle nut and use

3/4" drive forged breaking bar or ratchet.

good luck,

Mike '96 xj '91 yj

Reply to
mike

Thanks, Guys! Your help is appreciated!

Yes, it is the bearing itself that I was referring to -- the outer bearing in the axle tube of the rear axle, after the axle shaft is removed. I will look around and try to find the right slide hammer for it. I have pilot bearing puller and a another slide hammer for removing the cover to a Chrysler tranny, so maybe I can figure out a way to get one of these to work. Otherwise, I will take your suggestion and look for a rental tool.

Troy

Steve G wrote:

Reply to
Bill