AX-15 smoothness?

I just bought an 87 YJ with a supposedly rebuilt AX-15. The tranny seems a bit clunky between gears, not real smooth, it seems I have to pause a bit between gears to let the synchros engage. I don't hear any grinding. Is this normal for an AX-15?

Thanks

Reply to
aGraham

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
aGraham

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
aGraham

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Make sure it has the correct fluid in it - GL3 not GL5 ( I think the sulphur eats the brass synchros). Or use Redline MT90.

Dave Milne