bad radiator cap?

Had my '02 SC2 in the shop Monday. Valve tapping was pronounced a little louder than normal so the tech looked at my car and gave it a clean bill of health. He suggested that changing the engine coolant temp sensor may help in quieting my engine and possibly help it run smoother. My warranty covered it, seemed harmless, so I said ok.

When I got home from work , a 45 min drive, I smelled coolant - real strong. I hate the smell of coolant more than farts or BO. (once blew a heater core in my old 'stang going 100, never forget that stink) So I took out the hose and some Simple Green and rinsed off the spillage that the mechanic left that came out when changing the ECTS. Spillage is normal, but I was hoping that as I brought him a sparkling clean engine, I would get it back just as clean. He also said that he "topped off" my reservoir after changing the ECTS.

Smelled coolant again tonight when I got home. I drive all highway, 45 - 75 mph. Popped the hood, and was coolant traces on the top of the radiator reservoir and down the engine chassis (under the pulleys) as if coming from the screw-on cap or a hose was dripping??. At first I feared it was a leaky hose, so I rinsed it off and drove a few miles. Got home, popped the hood and more coolant! Not lots, but enough that it stinks.

So I'm wondering, bad cap or any chance that the coolant reservoir was over filled and the cap is designed to leak like that? Did I mention that I hate the smell of coolant? TIA.

Reply to
marx404

[snip description of subsequent coolant leaks and/or overflows]

What difference does it make? Take it back to the mechanic. It wasn't doing that before he dicked around with the cooling system, and it is doing it after. Tell him to figure out what's wrong, and fix it.

At no charge to you.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, it will leak out any extra coolant if he overfilled it - take the cap off & see if it is still overfilled - then go back and complain either way - they shouldn't overfill.

Reply to
Kevin

I checked it this morning, yep, that seems to be it, over filled up to the neck of the resouivour. Got out the turkey baster and sucked out the excess, rinsed off the cap, put it back and went to and from work (my usual 45 min each way drive) down I-20. No stink, no wet spots. Stupid mechanic, guess it'll be hand-holding from now on whenever I bring my or my family's car in.

Reply to
marx404