Ignition cutting out

'87 Wrangler with 4.2, ignition just cuts out randomly. Usually happens at low RPM, either sitting at the stoplight or speeding up after slowing at an intersection. Always restarts after hitting the starter, won't restart with a clutch bump.

Behaves like a loose wire, bad connection, bad switch sort of thing. The fact that I have to turn the ignition off then hit the starter makes me think it's the ignition switch but I had to tear down the column on a guess.

Thoughts?

Reply to
RoyJ

So many possiblities and ignition problems are hard to diagnose without using the shotgun method. :)

Failing coil will give you a weak spark that increased fuel can snuff out. Although they also tend to show up as bad acceleration onto the highway and as lots of carbon on the plugs due to unburned fuel.

Got my ass bit once with a coil that was just barely working. I now keep a spare to swap as the first test any time I have ignition issues.

Crankshaft Position Sensor? That usually kills the engine at low rpm. I've had to replace mine once already and it's a 93.

First thing I'd do is remove, clean, and put some dilectric grease on every sensor connector.

Reply to
DougW