Battery Suggestions

Don't say things like that to me !! I'm easily led. [I made a Molotov / Napalm detergent cocktail aged 6 with a school pal from a "recipe" supplied by his Dad, a soldier in Northern Ireland and who got drunk and told him what the IRA got up to ...]

Dave Milne

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Trying to recall if anything [other than 99% hydrogen peroxide] is touchier than acetylene at roughly 2-3% to 85% mix being interesting.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Prell shampoo, your favorite petrol, ammonium nitrate fertilizer... enjoy.

Dave Milne proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Here is some reading information for you:

Department of Energy:

accessed 12/3/2003

UCLA News: May 28, 1998

International Journal of Hydrogen Energy: (2003) 1073-1081, Forsberg

BMW Group:

accessed 11/28/2003

Mechanical Engineering (feature article) American Society of Engineers: Michael Valenti, 2002

I am not going to debate with you. Like I said, I have done a paper on this, I know all my facts.

BTW - Propane and Hydrogen are even close to being the same thing. If you look at the data from "Mechanical Engineering (feature article) American Society of Engineers: Michael Valenti, 2002" you will become a bit more enlightened.

--James

PS - There were a bnch of people that told the Wright brothers their plane wouldn't fly, there were even more people that said, Henry Ford was crazy (my great-grandfather being one) and still more told people that breaking the sound barrier was deadly, at best. The key is a simple "controls" problem.

Reply to
RocknCJ

accessed 11/28/2003>

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Am I Lloyd? Hell No.... I am not even close to the East coast. I have lived in AZ all my life.

I am not saying believe all of it, some of the numbers and calculations are correct. Some of the observations are correct.

Anyway people are getting pissed we are discussing this on RAMW+J, so I guess we should stop.

--James

Ohhhh, Lee Ayrton (from above) that is not my paper. It is just research material. and I will stop now, if Bill stops.... LOL

Take it easy Bill, it's beer thirty

I see you will never understand the energies we harvest from our> Sun. Their heat expansion relativity, much less how we convert that> energy in our common internal combustion engine.> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

RocknCJ

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Costco sells Optima batteries.

I really like a store called American Battery. They sell their store brand, and they have Interstate batteries as well. My experience with them has always been pleasant. Take your car over there, and the guy will get you set up.

I don't even shop price anymore, I just go to American Battery. It is so easy, and my effort to shop is worth way more than the extra money it might cost, and I think it actually costs less because they have low overhead.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I run a deep cycle marine Gel battery, an external 3 stage electronic smart (Balmar) regulator. The battery is about 6 years old. This stuff was left-opver from a boat that I was rebuilding. Such a system should last for several more years without battery change.

On a boat such a system if perfectly matched will last 10+ years, including periodic deep drawdown of the batteries.

.... would be an expensive proposition if one had to install such from 'scratch'.

other 'details' can be found at

Rich Hampel

Hank wrote:

I do not have much experience with sealed batteries because I prefer a battery that I have access to fill on my own as regular maintinence. Always use distelled water, tap water will help corode battery which is the grim reaper of lead batteries. The plates inside the battery flow Pos. to Neg. via the plates and electrolyte (liquid). As a battery runs down corrosion builds up between the plates and eventually shorts out the plates and 'Presto' dead battery. Whenever charging a battery use a tricle charge. On most chargers this is 2 amps the 'low' setting. Using a high setting can cause excessive heat and damage the plates. High ammperage is a last resort to charging a battery. Maintenance is the gig with any auto, especially a Jeep. When under the hood it only takes a minute to lift the two lids and check the level. Battery maintenance should also include cleaning posts and clamps keeping that 'white stuff' off. At least every fall I put a good coat of Vaseline on each post to deter any corrosion. I like the idea of the dual post - using the side post for alternative equipment. I find side post difficult to access. If used, preferably place side post to inside of compartment avoiding contact with body of auto (if mounts come loose). One last comment on batteries and maybe the one most overlooked when troubleshooting. The other end of the Negative cable is attached to the engine (on all of my vehicles). This can come loose even when it looks or even does not 'shake'. Only a good snug with a wrench will make sure it is making good contact. I had a (company) Chevy van that I had to get underneath many times to get at the Neg cable. Sorry so long. I'm old school concerning batteries from taking care of a battery locker on a US Navy Destroyer, WW II vintage. Steve

Reply to
popeyeball

popeyeball did pass the time by typing:

Yep. High being 8A or better. 6A is good for charging over a several hours while 2A can almost be used to maintain a battery overnight.

The battery in my ZJ died earlier this year. I charged it up at 6A while watching it on a voltmeter. Brought it up to 16V on the charger (12.6 off the charger) and let it settle, then brought it up again using a 2A charge.

The battery now charges fully while driving and test out like it was new.

Reply to
DougW

Once we get that whole cold portable fusion thing figured out in a couple centuries hydrogen will be GREAT!

Matt

Reply to
mhammer8

My uncle worked in the Goodyear plant in Akron, OH and used to get neat jars of sodium chips. That stuff is more fun! Throw a chunk in the snow, it leaves a crater. Just don't drop the jar or let snow fall in it :) The oil they suspend it in starts to boil!

Matt

Reply to
mhammer8

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but at what rate does the alternator charge the battery? Is it OK if you kill the Optima to get a jump and drive it around for awhile to fix it, or is that charge too quick? Do you need one of those chargers you keep in the garage in this case? Thanks, Matt (also Navy)

Reply to
mhammer8

Matt, an Optima battery is a conventional lead-acid battery that responds well to jumpstarting and normal charging methods just like any other conventional battery does. :)

Jerry

snipped-for-privacy@nospamyahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Oh, good..I was worried there that some weird science was going to mess up my cool battery :)

Matt

Reply to
mhammer8

Cold fusion. God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com