Leaf spring life

YJ how long should they last mostly road some off road play on them. 93 YJ has 4 front & 6 rear and there is no arc. They are flat. Should I change Shocks when changing leaf springs?

Reply to
kdbauer

Stock YJ springs are pretty flat to give it a soft ride. And they get flatter over the years. I don't think I've ever seen a YJ with stock springs and over 2" of clearance between the front axle and the bump stop. Biggest sign that they need replacing is if the spring right near the end eyes gets a slight reverse kink.

Replac> YJ how long should they last mostly road some off road play on them. 93 YJ

Reply to
RoyJ

YJ shocks are basically flat with no arch.

If they have an arch they are lifted. If they have a reverse arch, change them.

Mike

kdbauer wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Lift springs don't all ride like crap. Some ride pretty well. Of the things I have tried, I had a Pro Comp 4 in lift that rode better than any Jeep I had previosly ridden in. It rode better than my buddies stock YJ, and I never broke a leaf. Wasn't as plush as stock, but the springs didn't torque wrap as badly either. BDS springs rode like crap. Were way too soft from the factory so I added some other leaves, and then broke a few of the BDS leaves. that was a few years ago though, hopefully they have changed their design. I am rebuilding my jeep again and am running Rubicon Express 1445 (2.5 in lift, designed for a spring over). I have never had a set and have heard varying reports, all say they are flexy but some people have had probs with them flattening out. I run 6 leaf packs all around for my extra weight and axles. Hardtop, fullsize spare (39 in), Blue Torch Fabworks bumpers, Winch, chevy small block/NV4500/NP205 and full width Dana 60's. I run a traction bar on the rear and will have one on the front soon so wrap isn't a problem for me. For normal weight rigs I have heard they stand up pretty well though. They also offer a 5 leaf pack for normal wieght rigs and many different lift heights. For the money though, I would suggest a Pro Comp 2.5 or 4 in lift kit with all the hardware and directions. Its the best way to start out. GL

Reply to
1BADYJ

Mike: easy on the pain pills LOL, you of course meant YJ leaf springs are flat.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

I did write that didn't I? LOL!