BB's in Tires

I am thinking about trying this. I am hearing this is much more accurate than traditional lead weight balancing. Has anybody else tried using bb's in the tires to balance?

Reply to
Kevin

Nope. I just let the tire guys hang weights on the edge of the rim. This seems to work pretty well, and it is all part of the installation charge.

Reply to
CRWLR

But how do you know how many bb's to put in? KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Good one ... lemme know how it works out ... :-)

Reply to
bowgus

Reply to
Drink

This sounds like a good way to induce a tire vibration. Don't do that.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

I wonder if JC Whitney still sells those shot-filled rings that mount behind the wheel?

It's a really bad idea.

Reply to
Paul Calman

BTW, for those who never flush their brake fluid, it's a good idea to get tires re-balanced every 10,000 miles or so.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
Kevin

To clarify, I truly thought the BBs in the tire post was a joke ...

Reply to
bowgus

So are rocks in hubcaps! :^)

Reply to
Jeepers

I saw the ads for the JC Whitney rings a long time ago........I would think that centrifugal force would force the BB's to find their resting spot after reaching a specific speed & have nothing to do with the balance or lack thereof.

Reply to
Carlo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I've spent plenty of hours researching everything under the sun to get my TJ to hit 500,000 miles (I'm in Baghdad right now, it's a good way to unwind). With luck I'll at least get close. Here's a link I found to centrifugal wheel balancers. They're used extensively for fleet vehicles to maximize tire wear and keep things running smoothly. I run MTR's and though they're worth every penny, I'd like to run them as long as I can because they're so expensive. Get your tires balanced, and then put these on in addition. If a rock chews your weights off, you're still in good shape if you have a thousand mile drive back home. They'll be useless to a trailered trail rig, but worth it for a daily driver. If you're worried about pretty, walk away, but if you want function - this might be what you're looking for. It even has a 30 day no questions asked money back gaurantee.

Andrew

Reply to
Drink

It refers to a past discussion of "brake lines overheating"/DOT 5 fluid .

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
Drink