BFG vs Wrangler

I was out at a Jeep shop today and was pricing tires.

I asked about BFG AT's and the guy turned me on to Wranglers instead.

Was wondering if anyone had any issues with Wrangler MT's. And if anyone uses them as a daily driver?! I've got about 100km round trip per day and don't want to get new ones in a year cuz they've worn!.

BTW: is $210 Canadian per tire a good deal??

Reply to
SB

twaldron

BFG's All Terrain is a superb all-around tire that holds up well to offroading as well as being quiet and long-lasting on the street. Is he talking about the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R which is a great rock crawling tire???

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Well, it is a daily driver....and my hearing can suffer no worse.

I use the jeep for fun on weekends....but am in the snow/ice belt up here in Barrie, Ontario.

MT's do look cool too!

So, I'd go with AT's if MT's have too many cons!

Reply to
SB

That's the one. I'm always wary that sometimes these guys are just trying to move product and talk it up!

Reply to
SB

Reply to
twaldron

What size? I bought 31" Goodyear MT/R's for $173.59 ea. on sale at Just Jeeps (before balance/taxes). They ended up being cheaper than BFG's (AT & MT) and that made my decision. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the three but if it's mostly street, BFG AT's might be your best bet.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

so....better in mud AND sand?? and as good as the AT in lesser offroading terrain?!

Reply to
SB

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Rankings in order IMO (1st, 2nd, 3rd)

ON ROAD dry pavement: AT,MTR,MT wet pavement: AT,MTR,MT snow: AT,MTR,MT tread wear: AT,MT,MTR (mt and mtr are a wash) noise: AT,MTR,MT

OFF ROAD dry hard trail: AT,MTR,MT dry soft trail: MTR,MT,AT wet hard trail: MTR,AT,MT wet soft trail: MT,MTR,AT mud: MT,MTR,AT sand: MT,MTR,AT rocks: MTR,MT,AT

Conclusion: ( % on road / % off road)

80/20: AT - great wear, great rain/snow road tire, okay for mixed terrain. 50/50: MTR - good overall road tire, excell at mixed terrain and rocks. 20/80: MT - poor rain/snow on road, excell at mud and wet loose terrain.

For a 100km commute, I'd definately go with AT

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

i just bought bfg at's cost about 550 for the 4 of them. i wouldnt trade em for the mtr personally i thik the gy mtr is too soft 4 much road use

Reply to
marvin martian

Reply to
twaldron

That's what the word "Canadian" means! ;)

Ya, being a car driver for years....I didn't realize tires could get so expensive. But those are only 31's. I don't plan on any lifts for a few years (wait til after warrantee is done). So my stock tires have little tread wear (only just hit 30000km). But I think I might invest early for a Christmas present for myself!

Reply to
SB

Yep, that was Canadian funds. The 33's and 35's were the same price $205 ($153 US). I was tempted at the 33's for that price but I would have needed new rims, more lift and fender trimming.

The 31's will do for now.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I haven't found them to be loud but there is a bit of a drone between 15-25 mph. I haven't had it on the highway yet. Hearing the stereo won't be an issue when it gets installed.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to