31x10.5 vs 32x11.5

I appologize if this has already been asked...

I just installed a 2" spacer lift in my 1999 Sahara. Next up are new MT tires but I'm not sure which size to get. Does anyone have an opinion on whether to go with 31x10.5 MT's or 32x11.5 MT's. I wheel on the weekend but the Jeep is also my daily driver. Price isn't really an issues as its only $70 difference. I also do quite a lot of highway driving and better milage would be a concern.

Thanks,

Jon_

Reply to
Jon Drover

If you wheel, I would suggest not exceeding 31" or you will likely rub on high flex. You can also run 31x10.5 on stock 7" rims if you put 1 or 2 washers (1/2 inch flat washers) behind the steering stops. 32x11.5 tires will probably need new wheels. JMHO TJim

98 TJ SE 90 SJ GW
Reply to
TJim

I'd run the 31s. I had 32s on my YJ on stock rims. They never gave problems and never had a serious rub issue (2" suspension lift). But, if you air them properly for the highway, your air pressure will be too low and the sidewalls will be so soft that you'll notice it.

Notice I said air them properly.... If you put in something like a typical highway pressure of 30 psi, you'll be riding only on the tread center because your Jeep is not really heavy enough for 32s at a typical pressure. So, you really should lower the pressure to get the contact patch right. For my YJ, that was around 23 psi. At such a low pressure, you could feel the sidewalls flex on corners. Not something I'd want for a daily driver.

Also, you might find it interesting to know that you'll probably have more ground clearance with properly aired 31s than you will with lower pressured

32s. Or at least that was the case when I pulled my YJ up next to an identical YJ with an identical lift and saw his was taller at the chunks even though he only had 31s (but, his were seriously overinflated - something near the max of 36psi IIRC).
Reply to
Clap Trap

Reply to
David C. Moller