Correction on my earlier 2002 Wrangler post

I need some help, reader.

A couple weeks ago, I posted that my fan was working on all 4 speed positions, but that my a/c was working on the top two positions only.

This earlier post of mine was incorrect. Actually, the fan is only working on the top two positions. Consequently, the a/c only works on those positions, too.

Can someone offer the fix to get this two lower fan speed settings to work? To date, my attempt to correct the problem was to replace the control panel/module (I figured the switch was bad), but this made no difference. The fan will still not work on the first two speed settings.

Any advice appreciated!

Reply to
kwp

There is a resistor pack that controls the lower speeds. 'Usually' all

3 crap out, but I have seen just one or two go.

On the older Wrangler Jeeps, this pack was located at the bottom of the heater box in the passenger footwell, but I have been told the newer boxes are different with the fan inside so I am not sure on those. It will be stuck into the heater box though.

And just FYI, the switch can be replaced by itself for about fifteen bucks, you don't need the whole cluster. The parts guy just needs to dig deeper.

Mike

Mike Romain

In the '03 manual: The blower motor resistor is mounted to the bottom

of the heater-A/C housing on the passenger side

of the vehicle under the instrument panel. It can be

accessed for service by removing the Instrument

Panel glove box.

FYI: The fan switch itself only controls the highest fan speed, the rest are controlled through the resistor pack. It is a common repair and it is (or should be) surprising that the parts counter man did not mention it....

The resister pack will be about $15 at the dealership and take 15 minutes to install as Mike says.

Reply to
billy ray

There also is an issue with 'some' of the power connectors for the blower motor on those models I hear.

I think I would be locating the motor, then trace the wires to the first connection, likely within 8" of the motor and then be checking it for heat with the fan on full and on the other speeds as well.

If heat is found there, then that could be the trouble. The pins inside burn out and might just be not passing enough power for the lower speeds to work.

That plug can just be cut out and bypassed using generic crimp on connector sets.

Mike

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Okay, I just returned from my Jeep dealer, and the parts guy hooked me up with a resistor pack, which is a nice little part about the size of a deck of cards. I'll see if I can install it this evening. Many thanks, and I'll post the outcome.

Reply to
kwp

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks a lot, everyone. 'Twas the blower motor resistor!

Reply to
kwp