Bill is now harassing me

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" wrote

Dunno about him but I did .... 40 years ago before it got *really* crowded .... and glad I did. Went back for a short time, rented a high-$$$ housein "Sandy Yago". View from my kitchen sink was the neighbors bath tub! No offence, Bill but figure what you could get for your SoCal place, check out what a nice house with your own swamp costs in America, then think how many jeep goodies that'd buy.

Reply to
Vito

Man, what a beautiful day! Even though the boss is mad at me, it's just beautiful outside. There's not a cloud in the blue tapestry of the heavens. I'm gonna sign off the NG and go sit on my patio; drink a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette and just relax... Wish I didn't have to be at the airport today. Wish I had another harmonic balancer for the Jeep so I could creepy-crawl 'round the outskirts of town and maybe fjord that new cut before they put homes on it (just a little 4WD jaunt out of boredom). Drink

Reply to
Drink

One thing I also noticed is that Bill has unwisely posted information on his website and gives detailed information of his address, and dob. i'm sure that if someone cross posted all this information on some of the 2600 boards a little ID theft could occur. This is just posted as informational only. Trying to keep everyone on these boards safe and free from possible ID theft as it has become a major problem these days. Lets not all make the same mistake Llewellyn has.

Reply to
David Owsley

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Why would you include your address and telephone number on your web page? That's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Jim Smith Defender of the Internet

Jim Smith

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Unsubscribe

Reply to
Jason Backshall

Perhaps because he's not afraid of actually standing behind what he posts.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

The last thing any newsgroup needs is every nitwit with an ebay auction posting it. They've got ebay, let that crap stay the hell out of the newsgroups.

You've latched onto criticizing Hughes for doing something I think most folks appreciate. Sure, he could be less of a curmudgeon about it. But at least he helps, and most of the time quite usefully. You, on the other hand, just seem to be a whiner, no scratch that, an asshole.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

and it is possible to find out from a whois listing of his domain if anyone is sufficiently interested.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

The last time I looked there was nothing on Bill's home page that I couldn't easily find out with a few minutes' work with Google or a trip to the public library. Yes, ID theft is a real problem but all it requires is a little caution with certain key bits of information, not hiding in a bunker with the walls lined with tin foil (not that you are, but you get the idea). A while back someone here balked at the idea of going to the Experian web site to opt-out of a daily barrage of credit card offers because they wanted his name and address. If he was getting credit card offers they /already have his name and address./

David Owsley wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

That's about the dumbest things since Bill posted his address and phone number on his web page. Do you honestly feel this is the best thing to do in today's world of identity theft as well as just not making good sense in so many other ways?

Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

So you want to start a discussion about this after Bill apologized to Tim?

Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

Bill has apologized...

Reply to
JimG

Damn! I thought I was supposed to wear the foil on my head!!! _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Yes, ID theft is a real problem but all it

Reply to
twaldron

Which doesn't do much good if someone's just using an isp account or posting from a completely unrelated newsgroup service. To say nothing of those that deliberately obfuscate their newsgroup posting source.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

you missed my point - Bill puts his address and phone on his website, but a whois of that website reveals that anyway.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to