Building A Woody Hard Top

I have been contemplating for some time now on building a woody top for the TJ. When I was a kid my dad had a woody station wagon and I thought it was so cool and that style has always stuck. I am an avid wood worker and have built everything from grand father clocks to ship's wheels and have done some one of a kind pieces for consignment. It is going to be a long term project as I have a long honey do list this year. I started the process by making some sketches on graph paper, initially I am going to use polycarbonate for the rear and side windows. I plan on putting a round window on the side and a lift gate style in the back but, I am sure as things progress that will change. I will be installing a sun roof either a sliding hatch like on a boat or a snap type with sail cloth. The frame work will be made out of white oak and all the solid panels will be made out of

1/4" marine mahogany plywood. All the joints will be mortise and tendon with marine glue and teak pins this should give a real nice contrast especially since the Sahara is sienna in color. I know it is kind of weird to have a woody TJ but I am not wrapped to tight either and always have gone on the road less traveled. As I get things going I will be posting some pictures my wife thinks I am nuts but after 31 years of marriage that will make everyone a little nuts. The initial build cost will be about $500.00 and it is a hell lot less than a hard top and will be really different. I may go off the deep end and roll and tuck the interior of the woody but I will have to see once I get that far.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Sounds an interesting project - show us some photos from time to time. How heavy do you think it would be ?

Dave

Dave Milne

I estimate the weight to be between 150 and 175 pounds because the polycarbonate is super light weight. If I had used auto glass it would have added about 60 lbs. The polycarbonate ways about 15 lbs for a 4'x4' sheet and is 10 times stronger and easily machined. The next few months I will be in the planning and pattern stage. Before I do anything I will make patterns for every piece of the entire top.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

This is so weird because I saw one today! Just saw it passing by, I did the Jeep wave then thought I had made a mistake. Looked old and not in great shape but it was a Scrambler with a woody top and what looked like full length rear doors hinged at the sides, no tailgate. This is going to be so cool.

- Allen

Reply to
bushman

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill,

It looks like the entire top unsnaps not a bad idea I will put that one on the drawing board. That woody is pretty straight forward not bad, I am going to something a little different more curves not so boxy.

Reply to
HarryS

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

From that angle, it looks a lot like a Toyota FJ-40 land cruiser.

- JG

Reply to
Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

It looks like someone crashed a CJ into a kid's wagon ...weird!

Reply to
griffin

If it lasts more than 4 hours, seek medical attention or move to Hollywood and get a contract.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland