burning/leaking oil

i am loosing oil in my 4.0L-im not sure how. i had 5w30 in it for a while, and it leaked around the drain plug, but i switched to 10w30 synthetic blend and that helped the dripping a lot. the side of the block is covered in old oil, and my mechanic friend thinks that the valve cover gasket is bad, which could explain that. but basically, im sick and tired of putting in another quart of oil every few weeks. has anyone else had this problem? i have a 94 ZJ w/ around 185,000 miles. any ideas/ suggestions would be great.

Reply to
petethepirate

petethepirate proclaimed:

Your mechanic may be smarter than most, or at least familiar with Jeeps. With 185K it is possible you might have some other source of oil loss but why not go with the easy fix and clean the block so you can see it. The valve cover is infamous for leaking oil, somtimes made worse by folks overtightening on the plastic style rather than putting on a new cover and or gasket or some permatex.

Reply to
Lon

I've been dealing with the same issue. Sounds a lot like my 92 XJ which was leaking from the rear main seal, the valve cover gasket, and the oil pan gasket. The last culprit, which should take care of of the links, is the o-rings on the oil filter adapter. I guess it matters which side it is that is covered in black grease. If it's the oil filter side then that might be your problem too. I found instructions here:

luck. If that doesn't help you can always buy stock in Exxon Iguess. :)

Reply to
wfpearson

Why haven't you fix the valve cover gasket? Is this like the dog that's howling, to lazy to get off the tack? God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

You can buy a new drain plug gasket too. The place I bought my Wrangler from recommended changing it on every oil change. Maybe that's overkill, but it doesn't hurt to replace it now and then.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Or just find a piece of malleable copper and cut a washer from that - lasts through many, many oil changes and doesn't take all that much pressure to seal every time. Sure outlasts the plastic seals!

Reply to
Will Honea

Back when I worked in garages we replaced 'every' oil drain plug washer when doing an oil change. The copper ones are crush sleeves that are one use only ones. The newer nylon ones can maybe be used more than once, but I even have a box of those here and replace mine.

$0.15 is really cheap insurance the oil will stay put.

Mike

Mike Romain

sounds like good advice all around- ill try to scrounge up some money to get a new valve cover gasket some time this week, and ill let you folks know what happens. on my nonexistant salary, its hard enough to buy gas to go to school, much less money for repairs. blew all my money on my wreck last year.

Reply to
petethepirate

If you are even half way handy, it isn't hard to change a cover gasket.

You might even find no gasket exists, they only come glued onto a new cover.

If this is the case, then a 'really' good clean (even a fingerprint will ruin the job) and then a bead of 'sensor safe' RTV will make a new gasket for you. This should set you back about ten bucks in parts and cleaning fluid....

Mike

Mike Romain

Heh, try to scrounge up some money for that drain plug gasket too.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I used half a can of gasket cleaner, $3.50 for the can. And Fel-Pro part # VS50022C-1 at AutoZone for $4.99. It took me about me about 2 beers while watching a basketball game to get the whole thing finished. The oil filter adapter o-rings are less than 5 dollars.

Reply to
wfpearson

Jeezus if you're broke buy a quart of Wal-Mart oil once every three weeks and make a point not to be lazy about checking it.

A little over $10 at 1.50 ea gets you well past the semester....

Reply to
Jon