cb Antenna mount - Disco

I'm about to fit a CB to my Disco (first time user, so excuse my naivety).

If I was to fabricate a bracket which fitted behind the bolt of the rear wheel carrier that attaches to the door (not the bolt through the wheel itself). i.e. loosen the bolt, slide in bracket, tighten up bolt - would this be a suitable mount for an antenna?

I've seen most of the mounts available, but I wanted the more "US" look, where it's fitted to the wheel mount. The easiest way to do this is to use what is already there.

I know I need some metal-metal contact, but would this work?

Any help appreciated.

H.

It would work, but the receive / radiate pattern of the antenna would be seriously affected by the metal in the body of the vehicle. Ideally the active part of the antenna should be higher than the roof. Best of all it should be in the centre of the roof, giving an all-round view and a good ground plane. But this causes problems - the antenna is difficult to get to at the wayside, and is prone to damage. I use a magnetically mounted antenna on the roof, easily reached from the ground, and the co-axial lead brought in between door and frame.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Knell