Changeing my o2 sensors

My check engine light was on. i had it checked out and it was a bad o2 sensor.i replaced both of my o2 sensors but my check engine light remains on. What else can i do? Any reply is very helpful and appreciated.

Reply to
boteague

By the way it's a 2000 TJ 4cyl.

Reply to
boteague

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reset the computer. Duh!

Sorry.

The computer has to be reset. You didn't say what year your Jeep is, but post-'96 models can easily be reset with the Scan Tool that you can check out at the local AutoZone store for free. It is simple to do.

Alternatively, you can take it to the place where you had it checked out, and they can reset it for you. They ought to do it for free, if they value your business.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I've reset my TJ's computer by disconnecting both battery cables and touching them together. Done it a couple times before, a mechanic told me about it. I know it sounds wrong but it seems to work.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

I guess I see no benefit in disconnecting them both, and touching them together.

  1. If either is disconnected it can be touched to the other, even while the other is still connected to the battery.

  1. If either is disconnected, the capacitive discharge of the computer will occur very quickly, negating the need to touch the cables together.

  2. The scan tool is free to use at Autozone.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I've reset mine by just disconnecting one of the cables and letting the car sit for a few minutes. Works fine... of course it also messes up the settings on the radio!

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

At one time our local Autozone would cheerfully come out read the codes and reset them. Policy changed and they would then make you push the reset button. Now they won't even do that. I bought one of the $40 harbor Freight jobs. It's slow, but it does work. As far as battery disconnect goes on my 2k Cherokee I know it's more than 5 minutes to discharge, but probably less than the 1/2 hour I left it to be sure. Shorting leads did not seem to be effective.

Reply to
jeff

If you disconnect them both, then you can clean them both. Battery terminal corrosion can be invisible, and I figure, any time you get near the battery is a good time to do maintenance on it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks, I disconnected my neg. from the battery. left it for 5 min. and it worked. before that i left it off for about 30 sec. and it did not work. Thank you All.

Reply to
boteague

Ours would do it free too, but the mechanic's union (sic) got mad because store employees were taking jobs away from the mechanics. The State (Calif) decided that the store can't do the checks anymore, but they can lend the tool so the customers can do it themselves.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland