changing air filter

Hello,

i bought a 2002 TJ 4cyl 2.4L and want to change the oil filter on it.

the original filter seems to have a block of foam under it (dirty)

i'm planning on getting a FRAM air filter (CA8205) and replacing the original filter

2 questions:

-Is FRAM ok?

-Do I have to keep that foam part or replace it or can i simply get rid of it?

I searched / read some thread but couldn't quite understand if getting rid of the foam part is ok ...

Thanks,

Fadi

Reply to
Fadi

I use fram air filters. Fram oil filters are not a good idea though as they tend to have problems.

As for the foam, dunno. Some foam filters you just wash out and replace.

Reply to
DougW

What foam part are you talking about? All I had in my '04 TJ was the rectangular paper filter in an orange rubber/soft plastic frame with metal mesh on one side (Fram CA8205).

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

I believe it depends on where you live if that foam part is included. Folks from dry areas have it, wet areas don't seem to from what I have read over the years here.

It is a dust collector to help keep the paper one from clogging too fast I think.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

I tried several parts stores and found a filter with the foam. It is made on the paper filter. I found it at a O'Reilly parts store I do not think it was a Fram. Look at the part # on the old one and that is what I used. I drive in dusty situations and wanted the best I could get. Don

Reply to
Don Hamilton

You have a fram replacement filter, like the one I bought and installed... your original filter must've already been replaced?

Reply to
Fadi