Should I get it?

Ok, I know right away that the "best" answer is "depends", but if you guys could expand a little on this topic I'd appreciate it.

I have the opportunity to get a 1996 (80K) wrangler for only $300. I am not sure the model, but it is a 4 cyl, has pencil thin tires, no back seat, and needs some TLC to get it "road ready". Most likely only about $300 more to get it running well, but hardly a comfortable daily grocery grabber. My brother (who has had more time to look over the vehicle) guesses the TLC costs to be about $1500. While I am no mechanic, I am fairly handy given a good manual and tools so I suppose I could fix a lot myself, and am not turned off by that idea.

Sound like a good project, or should I hold out for a better model? How hard/expensive is it to install a back seat aftermarket (my 6 year old will no doubt want to go for a ride)?

Sorry, if my questions are hard to answer (can be subjective, I know) but any advice, experience, etc., you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Meck

Naw it would be a POS yuppie Jeep, a wanna be you wouldn't enjoy driving at all...

Ok, where is it located and how do I contact who owns it now?

;-)

Man, you can't even buy Jeep tires for 300, that is an insane deal for an 11 year old Jeep, YJ or not.

Back seats are around, lots take them out so used is an option. A seat from an 88 up to the 96 will fit so even the wreckers are an option.

I find them a 'great' grocery getter Top and doors off, nice sunny day, hmmm, I need to go to the grocery store for coffee today so if I take the long way around passing 'near' the mud pits, well... maybe be back with the coffee by breakfast. :-)

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Ok, I know right away that the "best" answer is "depends", but if you
Reply to
Mike Romain

Sounds like a good deal, for $300 it is hard to go wrong, you could get it all back parting it out if it doesn't work out. I have a '95 YJ and it is great. For serious off roading though it does need modifications like a stronger rear axle, slip yoke eliminator to improve the transfer case, lift and larger tires. This will be true also for the newer TJs from 97 to 2006, except for the 2003-2006 Rubicon models that come with Dana 44 axles (sort of) and a better transfer case (these would cost a lot more though).

Reply to
nrs

The back seat is easy. Check to see if there are issues that may (or might not, depending) be beyond your abilities, like frame rot at the frame rail ends. Be aware that a "fixer-upper" can rapidly turn into a boat (that is, a boat is hole that you constantly throw money into). It might be so cheap because there's some thing dire wrong with it, or that the owner _thinks_ is dire but it isn't really, or he simply got tired of it and wants it out of the yard quickly.

If nothing else, it could be fun toy. I say look carefully and then go for it.

Let us know what you decide.

-- "We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey, that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated." Orson Wells on the reaction to the _War Of The Worlds_ broadcast.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

There was no Wrangler with a model year of '96. The last YJ's were '95 and the TJ's were intro'd in mid-96 as a '97. Does it have round or rectangular headlights?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I noticed that after I made my post as I was looking up the jeep online. It has square lights so I'm thinking it is at newest, a 1995.

I appreciate the input so far guys. I am going to take some pics of it this weekend and post them up so ya'll can tell me if you think it is a complete POS or a good fixer upper.

As for reinforcing it for offroading - I just plan to use it as a "fun" vehicle to zip around town in or some very light dirt road travel out to the hunting lodge. No serious rock or trail action.

Thanks aga> There was no Wrangler with a model year of '96. The last YJ's were '95 and

Reply to
Aaron Meck

Hi Aaron

Sounds like a good deal. Take a battery, several litres of oil, some water and your brother and go start it and move it a few feet. If it doesn't start or move, I wouldn't panic at that price. Once you start working on it at home, the vehicle will attract other Jeeps and you might get a good deal on the parts you need. A guy came by several weeks ago and told my wife he had 4 good alloy wheels with tires for his XJ that got wrecked and were taking up space in his shed. A week later he dropped them off in the yard. Very nice, now I have 4 full size matching alloy spares with excellent tires for my 91 at no cost.

I suspect this vehicle hasn't been well maintained so you may need to replace a few parts to pass safety and emissions tests. But $300 is a good buy for a complete vehicle. If you have second thoughts about the vehicle next week, you can recover your investment easily. Go for it!

You can come back to this group for lots of help. And you can get a factory build sheet to tell you exactly what you have. Then you can also find out where to get a factory service manual.

If you know a high school shop teacher, you may be able to get some repairs done for the price of the parts. And you might get a not bad paint job for the price of the paint and sandpaper.

Good luck

Merrill

Reply to
merrill

Here are some photos I snapped this morning. Turns out it is a 1991, but teh mileage is correct at about 86k.

Aaron Meck

What a piece of crap! NO WAY that is worth $300.00!! Please email me the owner's name, address, and phone number so I can chastise him for trying to rip off one of our NG members! Also, if you could post his zipcode for curiosity sake only. Some people! Sheeesh!

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Wow, that is almost too good to be true.

Those tire are wicked. You can run any trail with those and not worry about traction, tall skinny tires just don't spin to dig holes.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

I have a back seat from a 93 YJ that I would sell - shipping may be an issue. But pick-up / meeting half way could be arranged if you are near Milwaukee, Wi.

I also have the rear seat belts accept the 93's shoulder straps attaches to a different sports bar configuration then what is on the 91 in the pictures.

paul

Reply to
paul

Heh... So the consensus seems to be that this is too good to pass up even if it is just to scrap it? Ok, can I get you guys to call my wife and tell her that? :)

The deal comes about basically because my brother's ex-mother-in-law "obtained" it via a divorce settlement (because the ex-father-in-law really wanted it). It was then given to my nephew (their grandson). When it broke down, my father tried to help fix it up - but my nephew showed no interest in getting grease on his hands. My father decided, "screw it then" and it has been sitting dead at the bottom of his driveway for many months. He recently decided that the ex-mother-in- law HAD to take it back and he would tow it to her house to dump it. She clearly doesn't want it so that is where I am hoping to come in an save this poor Jeep from a life of foster care and give him a proper home.

It has all new distributer, battery, etc, most all electrical has been replaced by my dad. We think the main problem now is a fuel pump. Also, it clearly has aftermarket shocks and I think it has already been lifted - can you guys tell? I took some armor-all and really wiped it down to see how the interior would look and to my pleasure it cleaned up lokoing damn near brand new. No cracks in the dash at all. I am really hoping this pans out now...

Thanks for the input...

Reply to
Aaron Meck

Go get it this weekend and play with it!

tw

Reply to
twaldron