charging the ac

Hi all. Every spring my ac doesn't work(94 grand cherokee), so I charge it and everything seems to be fine until the next spring. $10/year isn't bad. The ac doesn't work great, but it keeps things cool enough. What I'm wondering is would it be worth it to take it to someone who could put a vacuum on it to get all the air out first? I'm guessing air/moisture gets into the system over the winter and reduces the efficiency of the system.

Thanks for any help.

Will

Reply to
William Pughe

Will the A/C still cycle on each spring before the recharge?As long as you are holding any amount of pressure air and moisture cannot get in.

If you are going to go through the time and expense of pulling a vacuum you should take all the connectors apart and replace the gaskets. That is, most likely, the cause of your leak.

When you refill do not use the refrigerant with oil..... the oil rarely leaks out and too much will lower the cooling efficiency and may damage components of the system as it is incompressable.

Reply to
billy ray

Yeah, and the only "correct" way to recharge an R134a system, is to evacuate it, and install the exact quantity of refrigerant that the system requires. The putting-a can-in-every-spring method is hit-or-miss, and sooner or later is going to screw things up. The "right" way to do this is to take it to someone with a charging station, and have them evacuate the system, saving the refrigerant, replace all the gaskets, and finally recharge to the correct quantity of refrigerant.

If you do it right, it is going to cost you, but you will sleep easier. You are saving the environment, and you don't have to worry about the compressor slugging liquid refrigerant and blowing its head off.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

R> Yeah, and the only "correct" way to recharge an R134a system, is to evacuate

***

Reply to
William Pughe

I thought the whole excuse... er reason, we switched from the very effective, safe, and inexpensive R12 to 134A was to "save the environment"!

Jeff DeWitt

William Pughe wrote:

***

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

No, we did it because some panty-waste tree hugging bureaucrat wants everyone, except his privileged cadre, to revert to living in grass huts or caves.

The environmental terrorist wackos protested this move because they wanted R-152 which is flammable or R-744 which is a poisonous greenhouse gas. Their rationale was if you wanted air conditioning you had to be prepared and willing to die a horrible death if you did not maintain the system or were involved in an accident.

Reply to
billy ray

And all these years I thought it was because of Dupont, the reefer madness people, created a molecule that was extremely stable. It was so stable, it remained in the upper atmosphere for a long time, killing all the ozone.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Better Things for Better Living Through Chemistry - DuPont 1935

The portion of ozone killing molecules produced by man is only an extremely small fraction of what 'mother nature' produces. You must think a lot of mankind's abilities if you think we have the power to destroy the earth...

Reply to
billy ray

Scott in Baltimore proclaimed:

For which an impertinent question might be: How is it that all of the CFC manages to make it to the ozone layer, but none of the far larger output of ozone from pollution manages to make it there to resolve the issue?

Reply to
Lon

R-152 is flammable but has fluid properties similar to R-12 which is why some were promoting it as a replacement for service. OEMs have rejected this because of the hazard of explosion in the cabin of a closed car if a leak occurs in an evaporator and the R-152 acccumulates.

R-744 is also known as Carbon Dioxide, it is only poisonous in higher concentrations. It is not considered a greenhouse gas even though it has a greenhouse potential... because it is a naturally occurring substance. The operating pressures are much (10x and more) higher than R-134a which will drive a complete investent cycle in the production and service sectors (compressors, heat exchangers, connecting lines, controls, service equipment etc.). So far the COP of these systems is slightly better than R-134a leading to reduced fuel consumption.

As far as following service procedures... come on, be responsible - or do you still dump drain oil in the back yard to kill the weeds.

Reply to
reboot

If you guys aren't careful Lloyd Parker is going to show up again.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I have suggested, by letter, to Ted and Hillary that they simply write a bill requiring all natural and man-made ozone to immediately relocate to the upper atmosphere but all I got in reply was a form letter thanking me for 'my continued support' and a request of a bribe... err... donation.

On another tack.... if you run air breathers at altitude you will force the conversion of 3-O2 to 2-O3 ..

One of the things that confuses me about global warming and global cooling is what caused it all the times before DuPont's CFCs?

Any what's with this magnetic shift business? Who caused that?

Reply to
billy ray

As I mentioned R-152 is flammable and R744 is poisonous...If either vents to your passenger compartment it can lead to a horrible death from burning or suffocation.

Carbon Dioxide only requires 2% concentration to be fatal. Loss of self-awareness, concentration, loss of reasoning, lengthening of reaction times occur at lower concentrations.

If you breath in flaming gas it only takes one breath to sear your lungs which will lead to a quick but painful death. Skin and tissue burns lead to a slower painful death.

snip snip

Reply to
billy ray

I have heard from reliable sources that there are people who use propane. It has the advantages of economy and availability, plus it is friendlier to the environment than those nasty CFCs.

Earle

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Earle Horton

Hate to have an evaporator leak. A condenser leak ain't good either.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Actually, while I am not a believer in conspiracy theories it's awfully funny that all the fuss that lead to R12 being banned started about the same time the patent wore expired...

Jeff DeWitt

Scott >

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

propane is an excellent refrigerant. not a smart choice for obvious reasons, but its still an excellent refrigerant.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

wont be from an emory server. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

and now that many companies are manufacturing 134a, guess what the next refrigerant to become restricted is.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier