Chrome intake with K&N

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Is there a snorkel for the driver? It appears that the driver's head would be several feet underwater with that setup.

Reply to
billy ray

I have all the old parts out in my shed. Just ran out to check. The air filter goes in a rectangular plastic box which was connected to the intake manifold by a clamped on plastic tube. From the front of the box there is a flared snorkel that extends at an angle to slightly above the height of the air filter box. Looks like a small black trumpet. It terminated inside the engine compartment although very high up. It was definitely not connected outside the engine compartment. The inside diameter of the of the snorkel is less than an inch and a half. My knuckle won't fit inside. The snorkel reminds me of the old metal encased air cleaners of the '50s and '60s that had a "trumpet" extending out from the round metal cover of the filter element. We'd pull that off and put on a less restrictive air cleaner (and then a Holley Dual Feed, cam, headers, $$$, etc..) ;-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

I saw one on a seventies or so Bronco, sticking straight up from a fender.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

My snowblower doesn't even have an air filter. If you are concerned about the K&N "leaking" you can always get the Outerwears® Pre-Filter for use "bei starkem Dustfall", as it used to say on the decal with instructions for cleaning your VW air cleaner. Speaking of VW, it didn't even have an oil filter. In the seventies the hot trick was to invert the top of the air filter enclosure, thereby bypassing a bunch of pollution controls including any cold air intake, but ensuring a ready supply of air. Most of the people I saw using this trick never cleaned or replaced the filter element.

I think one element that people are missing, is to pay some attention to what kind of environment you are operating in. Sand, for example, is likely to be different from highway or city, unless you live in the Southwest.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

billy ray

That's not a '04 Wrangler X 6 cylinder. Looks like a Grand Cherokee. My statement stands for a 2004 Wrangler X 6 cylinder.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

You responded to a message about thoughts I had to streamline my air intake with a comment about your system.

I then responded that your system is sucking engine compartment air and later that 99% of the installations I have seen also sucked heated air

If you are paying for a cold air intake then you shouldn't be sucking air from atop the exhaust manifold.

As Bill commented later on standard factory intakes started ducting in cold air 30 years ago (and on HP engines 40 years ago.)

The comment by.... (Earle?) about flipped over air cleaner covers was true to a point. We did it from the mid 60's to mid 70s and at that time we weren't bypassing much other than the heated air intake for winter (choked) operation. What this did was to bypass the restriction caused by the small factory snorkels on some engines.

Whether it actually did any good was / is debatable

billy ray

I never said mine was cold air. It is less restricted. That's why I got it.

I knew that it wasn't cold air, but it isn't "atop the exhaust manifold" either

Obviously not all. My '04 Wrangler X is a case in point. Please tell me what model Jeep your link showed with the cold air intake. I know it wasn't a 2004 Wrangler X.

Worked on my '56 Chevy and '65 Corvette.

I'll be happy if you tell me the year and model Jeep in your link. ;-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

After this "modification" we got a lot of cool sucking sounds from under the hood. ;^)

Earle

Earle Horton