CJ-5 Heater Fan Upgrade Questions

Hmm...........

I think you are being fed a 'big' pile of BS!

(There is this really old scam that happens when folks that know nothing come in with unknowns like yours. They put a squirt of oil in the radiator and show you the 'test' results, then sell you a new engine.)

A slight hydrocarbon trace in a cooling system does not happen from a big bang and stall.....

The head would have to be blown open or the headgasket blown right out to cause the Bang/stall (it is seriously hard to stall a 350!) and for the bang/stall to have caused that first, well.....

I don't buy it for a second....

You just had a bunch of unknown arms and tools all over the rear of the engine around the firewall. I really would be suspecting a wire knocked loose on the coil or distributor.

Just my $0.02,

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Bad news !!!!! The shop did a block check ($75) and there is exhaust
Reply to
Mike Romain

Yup, my CJ7 had a 'blown' engine according to 'real' Chrysler mechanics when I bought it so I got it really cheap. It had new carb all new tune up and still blew tons of oil into the air filter while not idling for shit....

It was just a worn out gas tank vent..... (charcoal canister)

Mike

Earle Hort> Or stupid. ASE mechanics are probably the worst.

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
FrankW

Or stupid. ASE mechanics are probably the worst.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I think I would do a long term pressure test of cooling sytem (a hour or two) to see if there is a internal leak in it.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I am a little disappointed that my comment didn't start a flame war, but I guess it's just common knowledge now, eh?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

That's what I'm talking about. We don't need no smog check where I live, because we have clean mountain air. (I think the pollution runs down hill, most of it.) We don't need no EPA license to work on AC, as long as we get paid in beer and not money. And we don't need no arm patch, because we don't have no inferiority complex to worry about.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Just don't forget to hook up all the pollution controls on that new old Jeep!

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

What the hell are you guys babbling about? I just want to know what's wrong with my Jeep.

Reply to
Anthony T

Good Idea SnoMan. I'll give it a try.

Reply to
Anthony T

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Do it with air not coolant because it can leak out easier. (though it can take more time to see it hence the longer time period of the test)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

While you are there, a compression test is 'sure' in order too!

The 'Big' problem Anthony is that your reported symptoms 'don't' match the diagnosis.

A backfire right out of the blue that stalls a 350 V8 engine is almost always spark related.

In order for a 'slight' head leak to stall a 350, one cylinder would likely have to be filled with coolant. When this happens, the piston hits the water like a wall and explodes which usually throws the connecting rod out through the side of the engine just for good measure....

Good luck!

Mike

Anth> Good Idea SnoMan. I'll give it a try.

Reply to
Mike Romain

I would not say that at all because usually it is fuel related if it is through the intake (engine leaning out)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Then you normally talk a series of backfires or 'pops', not one bang and stop that is 'caused' by a slight trace of hydrocarbons in the rad coolant most likely from a cracked head!!!!

I would highly recommend as I have said that he check for loose wires at the distributor or coil.

He just had some friends all over his firewall area trying to bolt in his heater core. That top center bolt for the heater is really close to things....

He also just had himself and/or friends all under his dash pulling the heater core in and out with the dash in place....

I 'really really' would be looking at wiring, not a blown engine. If you backfire bad enough to crack a head well... I don't see how it can be the cracked head causing the backfire.

Mike

Mike Romain

Not always because depending on the reason for the lean out when the engine missfired and back fires it looses power and required fuel flow so demand for it decreases and it may run alright for a bit afterwards when it recovers. Also something this backfire can occur when there is a throttle change and enrichment lags enough to cause the "pop" from lean out. This iis not to say it could not be ignition but more often than not when it spits through intake it is from leanout under load or engine acceleration.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

"Caused by a slight trace of hydrocarbons in the coolant which means a cracked head"????????????

We are talking a bang that stopped the engine cold at speed twice in a row to the point of a tow...

Mike

Mike Romain

Can we say it sounds like the center coil wire came loose?

Reply to
Mike Romain