CJ doors on YJ

Greetings,

So I have done some searching (in this group and on the WWW) about putting some CJ doors I found for cheap, on my YJ.

Some say I need to remove the striker panels, others say that only the paddle style will work (mine are handle, not paddle). Others sites have mentioned some serious remod...

So can someone please give help me out? Which is it?

Thanks, D

Reply to
Dave

You can hang CJ doors on a YJ and vice-versa. (And windshields too, with a couple of minor mods).

Whether they will latch or not depends. Early CJ doors used a paddle system just like the old CJ (and '87 YJ) soft doors. Later CJs used a striker bolt. Early YJs (that came with factory hard doors) also used a striker bolt. Not sure about later YJs, but they might have switched to a loop style like on the TJ.

Bottom line, late CJ hard doors and early YJ hard doors are interchangeable, no mods. For example, I could have put my '82 CJ doors on my '91 YJ with no mods.

If your YJ uses a stiker bolt and the CJ door uses a striker bolt, you should be fine. If not, you'll have to change the striker system on your YJ to match what the door uses. If it were me, I wouldn't go that route, just get the right doors to start with.

PS - if you have an '87 YJ, watch out. That year they didn't come with hard half doors standard so if it came with a soft top, you won't have a striker bolt.

I'll be glad to send you some pics of an '82 CJ door striker and latch if you want. Email me at clrwebmail dash lists at yahoo dot com.

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Clap Trap

It depends.... I have both types of doors for my CJ7, the paddle type and the newer belt loop remover type. They are interchangeable by adding or changing the striker plate.

I went to a 'glass body and it was just easier to use the paddle type that catches on the door frame rather than build a frame up for the belt loop remover. For the striker I used a piece of the foot kicker molding that goes along the tub's bottom door opening edge.

Mike

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain