CJ / Wagoneer

I am thinking about picking up an old 80's Wagoneer and using it for donor axles for my CJ-7. The axle swap sounds like it is pretty straight forward. Did they all come with D44's or were there any other axles used? Anything else on a Wagoneer that I need to consider, any other parts that are worth using? What engine / tranny / t-case options did they come with? My 258 engine with 215,000 is getting a little tired, maybe time for a rebuild V8 from a Wagoneer if it would be an easy swap.

Any feedback / comments? Thanks

Reply to
Rusted

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You'll want '74-79 for passenger-side front pumpkin to fit your CJ. While you're at it, you might as well replace the knuckles with Chev flat-tops so you can convert to high steer (and set your caster). You'll have to trade in your 5 lug wheels for 6 lug.

Steve

Rusted wrote:

Reply to
Steve

I guess you will have to call me a glutton. 90% of the idea is for the axles. I don't want to go full width, and I don't want to bother with cutting full lengths down to size, then coming up with custom axle shafts now and if they break. That was the idea with the waggy axles. I am ok with finding new 6 bolt rims, that is an easy one. I see full Wagoneers going for $400 - $500 I was hoping that I could use the axles, maybe the engine, and parting the rest if there is any value left.

Reply to
Rusted