cleaning soft top

Anyone know whats the best thing to use to clean the clear plastic on a soft top??

Reply to
bspear78

A mild soap and water solution on a terry cloth rag on a warm day. My old windows even say 'do not rub dry' right on them. They should drip dry.

Stay far far away from paper towel or any other paper rag. I noticed they now sell rags made from paper. Paper will scratch the plastic.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Anyone know whats the best thing to use to clean the clear plastic on a > soft top?? >
Reply to
Mike Romain

brillo!

:)

Couple of schools of thought.

Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner #17 followed by Clear Plastic Polish #10

or

formula 303 protectant (you can find this at a boat store)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Go to a boat supply house and ask for the flexible window cleaner/polish.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Here's what I do. First, hose them off, then a bucket of warm soapy water, very light pressure and a fresh clean wash mitt that never gets used on anything else.

Dry with a clean, lint free cloth. Not paper. They make a little soft towel that is white with pink stripes especially for glass, when they get washed a few times they get nice and soft.

I've read that it's a real no-no to use anything with ammonia in it. I have been using Invisible glass on mine on the inside and I just wet them down really well and wipe cautiously to remove the dust and mud splats then hit them again after all the gritty stuff is off. Dry gently

Nothing you can do will keep them from getting a little abrasion but if you are cautious you can keep them looking good for a long time.

Meguiars makes some products and so do many other companies.

Good luck! Kate

Reply to
Kate

How long have you been using it Frank? Mothers has always made good products... Does it help with those little unavoidable scuffs at all?

Thanks! Kate

Reply to
Kate

I just got some Meguiar's 'Plastix' cleaner and polish that I am going to use on my vintage 1986 top and door windows. It is getting a bit scuffed here and there so I want to see what I can restore it too.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > How long have you been using it Frank?
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

I've been using Meguiars Mirror Glaze Numbers 10 and 17. One is a plastic window cleaner, the other is a finishing polish for plastic windows. I've been pleased with the results, the cleaner takes a lot of the discoloration off of the plastic. If you do half a window and compare, there is a marked difference. You can get it in most any auto parts store. It's 5 degrees here and it snowed a foot and half last night, what I wouldn't give to have soft top weather again --- come on spring!!! Les

Reply to
Les

I hope you'll post your experience. I'd like to keep mine looking good as long as I can. The doggone things are so expensive and look so bad when they get munged.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Good to hear Frank, thank you! Over the years I've gotten a little gun shy about buying every product I could find for soft tops. I had two Mustang verts, one with a white top. I finally got burned out on trying to find just the right miracle product and stuck with what I knew to be tried and true.

Reply to
Kate

I will take some before and after photos. They, Whitco, made pretty tough tops back in the CJ days, too bad Jeep switched to ones that wear out fast from what I hear.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Frank_v7.0