Cleaning the Differentials??

Hi again,

I'm going to change the gear lube in both the Front and Rear differentials. Is there a good solvent that I can flush all the old lube out of the axles with. The last time I sprayed brake or carb cleaner on the gears, but it didn't get into the axles themselves and after about a month the new lube was sludged up from the old lube left in the axles.

Thanks again, Paul Dana 35 and 44. '75 CJ5 258

Reply to
Paul Brogren

anyway you can jack up each side to let them drain?

differentials.

Reply to
serg

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Actually your right it's a DANA 30.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

differentials.

It might have been sludged from the carb cleaner... it's nasty stuff.

Here's what my manual says:

Clean the housing cavity with a flushing oil, light engine oil or lint free cloth. Do not use water, steam, kerosene or gasoline for cleaning.

It doesn't even get into the realm of carb cleaner. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Ive used carb cleaner a few times, I just make sure I dont spray it into the bearings. Everything I have ever read says not to do this, but I live on the edge! KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

No.

If you want to clean the tubes, pull the axles out and run a rag through it like cleaning a gun barrel.

The solvents can and will clean the bearings and gear faces too good so they will wear like crazy until the splash gets around. That can take too long and you will end up with dead parts fast.

Otherwise just change the oil ever few months until all the junk gets out then it is good for another 50K miles or so.

Mike

Paul Brogren wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

OK I value Mike's advice. No more living on the edge. KH :)

differentials.

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

While running a rag through the axle tube is great idea, it will f*ck up your axle seals. Not a big deal if you are re-doing them. But if you don't want to replace them... Not a good idea.

JP

Reply to
J.P.

Just pulling the axles seems to do bad things for the seals also....

Mike

"J.P." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Indeed, if you pull the axles change the seals..

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

I changed my seals last year. (D30) they are mounted in the diff, It wasnt as bad as everyone said, I think I got lucky and everything worked out. I still need to change my rear seals, but the 12 ton shop press that I got from harbor fake tools didnt come with instructions and I couldnt easily figure out how to put it together lol. Its in a box still in a million parts. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)