Cleaning a Carb.??

I need to clean and do a real good rebuild on my Carter 1 bbl carb. The venturi's are seeping fuel at idle and the needle and seat need to be retired. I know I need to use a guitar or piano wire to push through a jet or tube. I just don't know exactly which tube, jet or orifice to ream out? Or, is it the venturi itself? I've done a basic rebuild before so I'm fairly familiar with it's components and adjustment areas. Also, If I need to remove any jets, is there a specific format to doing this. Please send advice or any links which may be of help.

Thanks Always, Paul '75 CJ5 258 Carter 1bbl

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Kits are cheap and easy to put in.

The idle pickup tube is the one that needs a ream usually. It is in the venturi cluster.

The rest can pretty much be done with solvents.

Mike

Paul Brogren wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Try an ultrasonic cleaner, then compressed air. A 1 quart will work and you can you it to clean MANY other things including the Ms. jewelry to justify the 150. It is much gentler than solvent and cleans better as well as leaves the original zinc on the carb, Works great!!

Reply to
flannery

If your gonna clean it, completely disassemble it. Use Berryman carb dip, avoid that spray crap. Use pipe cleaners for orfices and tubes, jets etc.

Mr. Bill at a 4 way stop.....the vehicle with the largest wheels has the right of way My Jeep is not an SUV....your SUV is not a Jeep

Reply to
AUTOKAWKR