Clunking or popping when turning right?

From a dead stop - accellerating to the right causes a clunking or popping sound? It sounds like it's from the rearend but I can feel it through my feet/floorboards.

Where to start?

My short-term fix has been to stop making right-hand turns, but this has added 4 to 5 hours to my comute...

92 Jeep YJ Open dif D35 Rear

bjc

Reply to
bjc

sounds like a u-joint. Jack up the front end, crank the wheel all the way to the right and see if you can spin both tires freely, if not... it's the u-joint.

Reply to
Kevin S.

Sounds like the U-joint in one of the front axle steering knuckles, more likely the left front but could be either. Look for the tell tale rust ring around the rubber seals on the u-joint.

Check it out by jacking the whole front axle up in the air on jackstands, turn the wheel all the way right, try turning the wheel by hand. Listen and feel for some rude sound effects.

The fix requires remov> From a dead stop - accellerating to the right causes a clunking or

Reply to
Roy J