cold shift difficult from 1st to 2nd (1993 cherokee)

Hi All,

I just took ownership of a 1993 jeep cherokee sport. The manual transmission is difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd in the morning. Once it is warmed up it is much better. One of the 1st things I'm going to do is change the gear oil. However, I'm concerned this won't fix it. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Best, Breton

Reply to
breton

Does it make noise when you try to shift it under the difficult to shift condition, or is there just resistance? That would be the difference between a worn synchro clutch and a slightly bent shift fork. My Wrangler, about the same vintage, complains when shifting into second, unless I do it at exactly the right road speed. You can learn to live with it.

If you do decide to get the transmission overhauled, seriously think about not only clutch replacement but upgrading to the new style external slave cylinder at that time.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It's normal, my 93 YJ has always been like that, just double clutch until the oil warms up and gets thinner, you could also try to use multigrade synthetic oil with a lower number, the problem is the cold thick oil slows the syncros... Miguel Londono.

Reply to
Miguel Londono

Thanks,

I actually looked a little deeper in past messages and found a lot of posts consistent with your rec. It appears to just be difficult to shift into--no noise or anything.

Best, Bret> It's normal, my 93 YJ has always been like that, just double clutch until

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
breton

Fresh oil does them wonders. I noticed a large difference when I switched to a semi-synthetic. Be sure you get the right type of fluid.

Jeeps also don't have a high water vent on the tranny for some strange reason, so it isn't uncommon to find water and mud inside of them.

Mike

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hey dude,

I drained a quart of gear oil and added a quart of Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. It doesn't completely eliminate the problem, but helps shifting 'til the oil gets warmer.

Marty

bret> Hi All,

Reply to
Marty