05 TJ - strange shifting from 1st to 2nd

Hi all,

Back in May I replaced my '97 TJ SE (4 cyl, manual transmission) with the same model but 2005. I am aware that some things have changed mechanically (e.g., engine, gearbox) between the two vehicles.

One thing I notice is that it is an "awkward" shift from 1st to 2nd. If you try to shift quickly sometimes you get a noise which sounds a bit like a minor version of a gear grind. Even when shifting at a relaxed pace from 1st to 2nd, it still doesn't sound and feel smooth like it does in the gears above that.

Dealer says it is "normal" and typical of all SE's with the new gearbox. But what sayeth the collective knowledge of the newsgroup??

Cheers, Neil Baldwin Burlington - Ontario - Canada

-- Don't count the days... ...make every day count.

Simple Ideas for Happier Living

Reply to
Neil Baldwin

David C. Moller

Got a 2005 TJ, 6 cylinders but same 6 shift gear box, after 6000 miles driving all conditions (on and off road) i have noticed no noise nor anything when shifting any gears, every thing's just smooth. Dealer's argument that it's "normal" and "typical" of this new gear box seems to be an easy way to not take your problem into consideration ! regards Patrick "Neil Baldwin" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
Patrick

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III