HELP! 89 YJ Courtesy lights won't turn off?

Hello All, I just got me a 89 YJ Laredo, the funniest thing is the foot well compartment courtesy lights won't turn off!? Grounded or not at the door button/switch they stay on permanently... doors open-doors closed they stay on. I put a completly new light and switch on both passenger and driver side and it still does the same. The only thing I can see that may be a issue (although it shouldn't) is a Red (tested live) and Black w. White stripe cable pair at the back for the hardtop light connection. Other than those cabels and the Courtesy lights where the Sam Hill does this circuit run? Do I have a ground somewhere... is that the problem? Help! Thank you in advance for any advice.

Reply to
Stevil

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Oh boy! How embarrassing... have you ever been guilty of over-thinking something? Thanks for not callin' me a freakin' eediot Bill, you'd think I'd have known better having 3 XJs... aah what can I say they have a knob, this has a slider wheel... doh! Thank you Bill, you just put-a-stop to a mind on overload and I no longer have to pour over circuit diagrams. : )

Reply to
Stevil

There is a dial or knob that adjusts the brightness of the dash board and instrument lights. When turned full scale to one side or the other, there is a small detent. This detent position turns the interior lights on. You didn't say, but the dome light should be turning on and off, or just on.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Sometimes the headache comes from the small hammer pounding on our forehead. We spend hours looking for the screwdriver, when the hammer is the key.

Doesn't it piss you off just a little to know that the Mode Select Switch was in the wrong position - ON instead of OFF?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You know I don't have a dome light nor can I find any wiring for one, the only other thing on that circuit is the pair at the back for the hardtop that aren't hooked up.

Reply to
Stevil

Sorry, you said YJ, but I read XJ. There is no dome light, only the lights in the footwells.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My first post to the group was "how do you turn them on ?" I still maintain twisting push buttons isn't an obvious thing to do, and secondly every time you put them on, you lose the brightness settings for the instrument cluster. Frankly, the guy that thought that one up was a mental midget.

Dave Milne