Cruise control

I have a 97 Cherokee Sport that I woul like to install cruise control. Does anybody have any experince in this sort of thing? Could I install the factory one from used parts?

Reply to
davebz1a

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net from was injured because:

| I have a 97 Cherokee Sport that I woul like to install cruise | control. Does anybody have any experince in this sort of | thing? Could I install the factory one from used parts?

You can find OE kits on ebay for about $200(us) but you had better be comfortable around airbags if you want to install it yourself. I for one would install everything but the steering wheel controls (I am doing this on my gfs '99 Cherokee) and let a pro screw with the clock spring. Or shop around for an aftermarket kit, usually priced around $80 for a decent, nice looking kit.

Reply to
Joseph P

Joseph P did pass the time by typing:

Cautionary note, never rest an airbag on it's face, always put it face up (the side you see, up). That way if it goes off it only makes a dust cloud rather than propelling the canister through something or someone.

When you carry the module carry it face toward you or up. While this seems contrary to the above it is the recommended way.

Even if your battery is disconnected and the fuse pulled, the airbag system maintains enough charge to fire it for several minutes or longer. (actual time depends on the vendor so I can't quote it for the 97, the 93-95 is two minutes but I would give it a good 30) Better safe than hospitalized. :)

Most important. (Disconnect the battery) After you have everything back in place, turn the key to on, then reconnect the battery. That way if the bag goes off you don't get a face full. (this goes for any time you replace the bag, never work in front of it.) Bags expand at about 200MPH and are quite capable of breaking bones at close range.

About that clock spring. It must be properly centered if replaced or you will destroy it when making a turn.

- Make sure the wheels are pointing straight ahead

- Depress the two locking tabs (center of the clock spring)

- Keeping it disengaged, rotate it clockwise till it stops (DO NOT FORCE IT)

- Rotate it two full turns and a half turn counterclockwise. (the squib lead should now be on the bottom and horn lead on top)

I have to agree with Joseph though, it is far safer to let a dealer do the install.

Reply to
DougW

I did the install of a CC kit on my 03 TJ that I got from that guy on ebay (genuine MOPAR) & I had no problem with the air bag. No big deal just follow the instructions, have a service manual & make sure you understand the color codes on the wiring. This were the factory service manual comes in handy cause the instructions that come with the unit are a little hazy in some areas. Plus the FSM is what you want to follow when it comes to the air bag.

L8r - Jersey

Reply to
Jersey

Reply to