This is going to get me slated. But...

What are PT cruisers, particularly 2.2 CRD Limiteds like to own. I love the shape but the interior looks a little bland except for the LTDs, I've heard the looks compared to a london taxis but has the turning circle of a hears.

I've even heard some horror stories of electrical gremlins going made and making all the warning lights light up like an xmas tree, and front wishbone bushes wearing out after less than 10k miles but replaced under warranty, but you only really hear the shouting about the bad one, the owners of the good ones stay quiet and they seem to be popular.

They seem to have a loyal following too with some people having two or three, sometimes at the same time.

So has anyone had one for any length of time, and driven it in uk conditions?

I realised after my Whitby run that even on the M62, I rarely go above

75-80, and don't bother with going over arround town. Might be time to buy something semi-modern mechanically especially if I can find something that at least looks retro, as long as it is reliable and comfy.

I don't fancy a BINI, and the NuBeetle never really did it for me, and I couldn't afford a 500 yet, so I guess that just leaves the car that echos an era rather than a specific model.

Reply to
Elder

Utter s**te.

Next suggestion....

Reply to
SteveH

Funny I never saw that one appear in your sig, were you that embarressed by it?

Reply to
Elder

If I remember correct Top Gear said it was the easiest car to break into, somthing like 3 seconds by there professional car thief.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Crowder

Almost every car can be broken into quicker by an amateur. I've seen that clip of the kid that they always wheel out when talking about youth crime, having the stereo out of a Mondeo and away in less than that.

Some of the reviews have mentioned dead locks, factory remote alarm and immobiliser. It won't stop a half brick, but nothing will until you get upto diplomatic levels.

Reply to
Elder

Someone who used to post to UKRM was a Chrysler main dealer mechanic.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

I had one as a rental car in the USA once and they were an absolute nightmare to see out of!! visibilty out of it was awfull.

Reply to
wonderman

No, but I went with my mum went to test drive one a while back now. She didn't like it because of the ride quality and lack of visibility. She drove a Vitara at the time if that gives you any idea of how bad she thought it was..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I had one for about 4 days in Florida last year.

It felt about as interesting to drive as a 70s Toyota or Datsun.

Seriously, don't do it.

Even talking about it makes me want to end it all.

It is not an enthusiasts car.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Sounds about perfect ;-p

Reply to
Pete M

Riggghttttt...............

For whom ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

How tall are you? I've heard the heard room is good which is one of my reasons for considering it. I find on a lot of normal height cars my head rubs on the headlining unless I have the seat at close to the lowest setting, and I have visibility problems using the sun visor having to crouch below it to see past the end of the car defeating the purpose of having the visor down in the first place.

I can see that rear visibility might be tricky, but parking sensor kits aren't expensive these days.

Reply to
Elder

Well, it's got slightly Gothic looks, drives badly, is unfashionable and drives like an old Datsun. Elder'd love that....

Reply to
Pete M

Well I'm not exactley doing enthusiast driving at the moment, or for the foreceable future.

Plod up the M56, plod back down. Sit in traffic or go with the flow. Then once or twice a year do more than 100 miles a day.

Comfort and fixtures is more important at the moment than vroom vroom sadly.

I'm still loving the Saab, and it performed perfectly doing 275miles to whitby and back, but with the lower geared gearbox, while the reset fuel computer showed 35.4mpg.

I did a pump to pump calculation and only really got 32mpg. Best I've ever gotten but a bit pathetic for keeping to a steady 60ish, and driving for economy to see what I could get rather than going hell for leather to see how quick I could get there.

Reply to
Elder

Shite old Citroen / Peugeot or VAG diesel, ffs.

I believe several people have mentioned this in the past.

Reply to
SteveH

One of the biggest criticisms of the PT Cruisers was the dealers not doing work charged for, and not admitting faults under warranty until the courts were involved, or recommending parts fixes not related to the problem, rather than the cars themselves.

I know some of them have had problems, but I really wanted to hear from either owners, people who have had them as contract cars, or a say courtesy or longer term rentals.

Reply to
Elder

Yes, but this would be for if I decide to go beyond the s**te old car phase.

I like the exterior styling, and could live with the interior looking at it (not been in one yet). When you are buying a half decent motor, you need one that suits you in style/personality, that was why you bought another Alfa when the Passat went back, rather than buying a Passat because the other one was so awesome at what it did.

Reply to
Elder

Reply to
JackH

However, the 156 is a bloody good car, even by today's standards.

Whereas the PT was s**te when launched and hasn't got any better since then.

I also spend at least half my time on enteraining to drive A and B roads, so wanted a car to entertain me.

Forget about something that looks nice (in your eyes) and get something that's perfect for the job - Passat TDI Tiptronic would be just the job (B5 / 5.5 shape, not the current one)

Reply to
SteveH

This review seems to make it seem like a half decent motor. Not fabulous, but not a pile of crap.

Elder