Dead computer - can it be rebuilt? - need advice

Hi all, I've got a pretty much stock 95YJ with around 140,000 miles on it. The other day, as I was driving, the Jeep turned itself off. It didn't stall out, just shut down. The battery had juice and I had a half tank of gas. I tried to re-start but all it would do is crank over and over - nothing ever caught.

I took it to a repairman and I was told the computer is dead. I'm presented with the option to have the computer sent out for rebuilding (its estimated at about $700).

Can the computer be rebuilt? Does this sound legit? I've got to give the dude an answer soon as to what to do, and would like to hear from more knowledgable people.

Thanks

-Art

Reply to
Artur Jorge Duque

The most common, and it's 'really' common cause for that is just a dirty connection on the CPS on the bell housing. The plug and socket sit right on top of the exhaust manifold and corrode easy. A good spray with an electronic contact cleaner fixes them.

Another very common one that causes the same symptoms is a dead body ground strap. It goes from the rear of the head to the firewall and when they quit, it just shuts down the computer.

The last one is a bolt above the dipstick with some small black wires on it. This is the computer sensor ground tag.

The main computers almost never fail. It happens for sure, just not often.

Even just unplugging the CPS and plugging it back in will usually get a start. If you do this and it fires up, you have found the trouble.

Mike

Artur Jorge Duque wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

To add to what Mike said, a re manufactured ECU is a lot cheaper than $700. A quick check of

shows a price of $250, and since they rarely fail I would imagine one could be had from a junk yard for much less. They are simple to replace but connectors and fuses should be checked first.

Reply to
jeff

Did the tech check for correct power going to the ECM. I have seen a large fuse, possibly on a Grand Cherokee, cause a non-start issue. The fuse was located in the engine compartment on the right side.

Also can you blink DTC codes with your Jeep? Or even plug into it with a scanner?

How did the tech determine the ECM was bad?

Buy a good used one for checking purposes.

just some thoughts

Reply to
One out of many daves

Reply to