diesel wrangler

Because petrol is cheap here, $3.00 to $8.00 in the UK. Now if you were a diplomat you could have one.

If you can somehow manage to live in the UK for a while, and drive a Jeep while you are there, you may be able to import the vehicle to the states. A friend got a Volvo in Sweden, drove it for a few thousand miles, and saved quite a bit importing it as a used vehicle. That was a U.S. compliant vehicle though.

The bottom line is that "they" don't want you to have this vehicle, the fuel for the gasoline vehicle is still cheap enough, and given all that the cost to market it in this country is prohibitive.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Indeed, it appears events have caught up with me and I am talking out my arse. Current UK lineup seems to be the 2.8 diesel (powering the Sahara, Sport and ditto Unlimited) or the 3.8 Rubicon.

At $45000, I'll pass on the Rubicon.

This probably explains why I haven't seen a Wrangler for months ...

Dave

think we are going to see a diesel Wrangler any time soon. I

even in the European market. It's not exactly a family

Reply to
Dave Milne

Like I said, they could run on Champagne and it wouldn't make a difference. Toyota has a reincarnated Cruiser that runs on premium. The people who own it don't even blink at the pump here. Heck, they probably get the butler ("personal assistant" here) to fill it.

Ways for Lynn to get one, that is what we are looking for. If they imported them to Canada maybe she could move there, buy the car, and move back. A neighbor got a Smart Car imported to the States and he is driving it around Durango. He told me he couldn't get the diesel version though, because the fuel here was "too dirty" for it. Since 2007 we are supposed to have cleaner fuel though. Don't know, but it is a place too look.

Lynn, call Canada.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I thought your diesel was now < 15ppm which is excellent. Here it has to be < 50ppm

Dave

difference.

Reply to
Dave Milne

But it looks like they're headed for 10ppm by 2011.

Frank_v7.0

That's what I thought too, but maybe my neighbor has had his Smart Car a while. It is only a year since we have had < 15ppm diesel. There are two of them in town, and they look really out of place. Both sound as if petrol-fueled. Getting an import certified as USA compliant seems more of a hassle than I would ever want, but it appears that Lynn really, really wants a diesel Wrangler.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That might be the case - they do a 700cc 50hp petrol or a 800cc 40hp diesel. Watch one doing 80 on the motorway, handling doesn't look that "smart".

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

People in the States see 700cc for a passenger car and wonder what we're talking about. I would not do 80mph in one of those things. They look like they go end over end every time you apply the brakes. Good for parking though, especially in those tiny Euro parking spaces.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Bill, I don't know all the details, because I am not yet desperate enough to try to run a $30,000+ vehicle on industrial waste, but if these guys do stuff right they can probably get tax breaks for "helping" the environment. I did see in Europe where diesel and petrol were more expensive than good quality cooking oil. Of course, cheap cooking oil in Spain is like the gourmet stuff here.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Our parking spaces are ridiculous. Fortunately, we have Costco which does proper spaces.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Earle Hort> People in the States see 700cc for a passenger car and wonder what we're

Reply to
Dave Milne