Difference between AMC 20 and Dana30

Hey,

If anyone remebers I just dropped the driveshaft out of my '85 CJ7, turns out I need to replace the rear-end yoke too. Searching around it seems there are a few options u-bot style or strap. Seems like the consensus is U-bolt. My question is: Is there a difference between the AMC 20 and Dana 30 yokes?

From what I've read they used both in the '85 CJ7's. In pictures they

look alike. The reason I ask is I can't find one locally and will probably just buy online and want to buy right the first time...

Thanks for the help and sorry if I sound like an idiot, I am new to the Jeep, but insist on doing everything myself...

Jeremy

Reply to
jelwell1982

I an not sure about the outside diameter in seal area and such but the AMC 20 and D30 have same pinion diameter shaft and spline count. I would suggest though that if you are having issues with drive shaft and yoke staying together that you should consider deeper axle gears because you are reaching the limits of drive shaft loading and it is kinda a "fuse" of sorts for drive line.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Dana 35 on the rear. Your CJ7 probably has the AMC20. "Want to buy right the first time"...you don't want much, do you? The rear end covers are definitely different shapes. Browse around on the Jeep tech sites until you find a good picture. The AMC20 cover is more oval, flatter as I remember it.

Replacing that pinion yoke is not a job for a beginner. You need the proper puller, not a bmfh, to get the old one off. You need to torque the new one just so, or you will have pinion bearing and ring and pinion problems down the road. You really want the special tool/wrench to hold the yoke too. Don't rely on the emergency brake and wheel chocks for this. Maybe a big pipe wrench will serve for this, if it doesn't slip while you are tightening the nut. The nut too is a one time locking throwaway nut. Some high strength thread locker might help here, but get a new pinion nut. This looks like a simple job, but there are so many ways to screw it up.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

You would be asking for a 1310 yoke for an AMC 20 rear end, or model 20 some places call it.

Reply to
Greg