amc 20 dana 44 replacement

Hi guys, I'm from Turkey and i have 79 cj5. Recently i have replaced my amc 20 with a dana 44. But some vibrations occured both while accelerating and decelerating probably because of the rear driveshaft.It's a bit difficult to find parts for cjs in Turkey, i need to have some parts made customly. Do i need a longer driveshaft as it looks slightly longer now the it used to be or should i try to have a cv type drive shaft custom made as i'm thinking of buying a 2 inch lift kit in the near future? With a cv drive shaft do i need transfer case lowering kit for 2 inch lift? Thank you all in advance, Deniz

Reply to
Deniz

Check your U-joint angle as it sounds like your problem. Also for what it is worth, there is a aftermarket kit for a AMC 20 that replaces the weak keyed hub design with a solid hub/axle. When this is intalled the AMC 20 is more than a match for a D44. One more thing if you are planning a lift, a custon CV drive shaft would be very wise in a short wheel base vehicle like yours but I would do the lift and then have the proper length CV drive made.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

If a direct replacement of axles (not springs) caused a vibration, it's likely that the final pinion angle is different on the two axles. The centerline of the pinion shaft must be exactly parallel to the centerline of the transfercase. You can check this with a couple of carpenter framing squares: put the short leg of one on any mahined surface on the back of the transfer case, the other on any machined surface on the front of the axle. The long legs should be parallel with each other.

If not, the fix involes adding some wedge shaped shims between the axle and the springs.

If you are go> Hi guys,

Reply to
RoyJ

Before you go crazy replacing parts a couple things come to mind.

I don't know, likely others here do, but is the Dana 44 housing a different length than the AMC 20?

When you set a new differential in, it is a bit tricky getting the angles correct so you don't have vibrations.

I will try to explain. The U-joints on the driveshaft ends have to be parallel with each other or it will vibrate itself apart.

So this means if the plane through the u-joint at the transfer case is say this way: | , then the one at the differential has to be the same or: | .

If the one at the transfer case is tilted down like / , then the other ar the diff has to be tilted up to match or / .

So the driveshaft looks like /==========/ or |==========|, Not /==========| which will vibrate like crazy.

This angle can be adjusted at the diff by using shims on the spring perches or a little can be adjusted by lowering the t-case.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hi guys,
Reply to
Mike Romain

If the axle housing is a different length, there is also a potential problem with the drive shaft length. The best way to find this out, if the old axle is still available, is to measure both axles, from the center of the axle tube to the pinion yoke.

A CV drive shaft should not need a transfer case lowering kit, but it would require use of tapered spring shims to point the pinion shaft at the transfer case output.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.comhttp://www.billhughes.com/>

First of all thank you all guys, I'll first check the angles, but i was quite carefull installing the shaft. The d44 i bought was a second hand one and it was in a very good condition, unfortunately without a drive shaft. To be honest i hadn't measured the housings. But by the look of the mud marks and clean parts of the shaft i can tell that it's standing a wee bit longer. I'll try to find an old jeep on the road and stop it and get under to measure the shaft unfortunately there arent't many of those. The cv shaft option is gonna have to wait till i get the lift kit as i understand that i need to change the angles of the spring perches and i don't want to take the the axle off again, i wanna drive it for a while as i'd been working on it for quite some time, i missed the little beasty. I'll replace the u joints as well once i measure a D44 drive shaft. The u joints are a couple of years old but i hadn't maintained them regularly. Thank you all again.

Deniz

Reply to
Deniz

I'll go out and measure my AMC 20 when it gets light out, will post in an hour or so.

> God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0>> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.comhttp://www.billhughes.com/>>

Reply to
Greg

Looks like 10 5/8", or 27 cm from center of axle tube to front face of housing, yoke not included.

>> God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0>>> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.comhttp://www.billhughes.com/>>>

Reply to
Greg

Thanks Greg, I'll go an measure mine before it gets dark at this side of Greenwich:)

Deniz

Reply to
Deniz

Thanks Greg, I'll go an measure mine before it gets dark at this side of Greenwich:)

Deniz

----- If you drive it much with that vibration it will damage things.

Earle

Reply to