Round and round it goes...

Wretched bolt, once holding the side step to the chassis frame (longitudinal main frame), but no longer.

Stupidly I unbolted it to remove the step and then put it in back to fill the hole while I refurbish the steps. Now it goeth round and round but moveth in and out not a bit.

I have several stratagems to remove it, but before tackling it need to know if this is a tapped hole in the chassis, or a captive nut inside (in which case it'll rattle a bit after I'm done). I think the chassis is original (1988, but very good nick, considering).

SO does anyone care to guess, or better still, know, if those holes are tapped or have a nut soldered on inside the chassis?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , SpamTrapSeeSig writes

Idiot boy - I meant 'welded' and forgot to say that the extreme end of the bolt's thread may have worn away because of vibration, which, if it was a tapped hole, might explain it.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

On or around Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:38:55 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig enlightened us thusly:

captive nut. One of mine does the same, but with the step-leg still attached. Or not captive, in your and my case.

no obvious solution as I can see, other than drill the f***er out with something like a 14mm drill, place an 8mm (13mm) nut in the hole, **with** a longish bolt in it, and weld it (the nut) in. Then put a short bolt in to hold the step leg.

Alternatively, drill through 8mm, drill also though the other side of the chassis, and use a long bolt, with a nut on the other side.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Oh poo (or something). At least I now know - thanks.

I fear you're right. I can't think of a better solution. The 'weld in a nut' version seems best, as it preserves the integrity of the chassis better (still reasonably watertight afterwards).

Why on earth did they do it that way...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

On or around Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:57:41 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig enlightened us thusly:

as with many other aspects of vehicle design, the ones who design it never have to work on it when it's 10 years old.

There are similar captive nuts in the rear cross member where the back step goes... so far, they've come undone.

bloody things. I guess with the main chassis rail ones, they drill the chassis parts and weld the nuts on before welding up the 2 halves of the chassis together.

Reply to
Austin Shackles