Emergency RAMJaW Hotline (P0712 Code)

Hey everyone! I haven't been here in at least a year (great Jeep Liberty wars of 2003) but I do remember that this place as being THE SOURCE for all things Jeep. I do see some familiar faces.. Jeff Strickland, DougW, Mike Romain, Kevin in SD, and of course Bill (the link master) Hughes III... it's good to see you guys still in here helping people. Anyhow, I'm probably not back for good but I do have a bit of an issue and I probably won't like the answer, but here goes...

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) that just rolled over 100,000. My wife was driving home from Wal-Mart tonight and she came in and said the CHECK ENGINE light just came on as she was rolling in the driveway. I grabbed the book and ran out the door and checked the codes, it popped a 45 (P0712) Trans Temp Sensor Voltage Too Low (Voltage less than 1.55 volts). My questions are...

How "$BAD$" is this? How long to fix if I "hook up" the mechanic? Where the hell is the sensor? (maybe just a broke/loose wire?) Is it one of those BS codes I can put off until later in the week?

Because...(and I hope Bill can appreciate this)... I'm supposed to drive 4 hours with the wife and kidlings tomorrow morning to pick up my shiny "new" competition yellow Corvette, and she'd be driving the ZJ home while I follow her in the Vette. If this is a major fix we can still take the XJ but won't be as comfy on the long drive (did I mention it's 4 hours each way?)

Thanks for any inputs, YOU GUYS ROCK!

Jim "PNYKILR" Zorin

'97 ZJ '00 XJ (gave '04 TJ Sahara to roomate)

Reply to
Zorin Inc.

Zorin Inc. did pass the time by typing:

Hiya. Long time no see.

Good questions, wish I knew the answer. The 93-95 don't have one so I can't find it in my books. My guess is

1) not critical 2) probably an hour or so 3) on the tranny case. :)

I would tend to think so, but that's just my feeling.

Reply to
DougW

My buddy just had a check engine and overheating light situation and it ended up being a belt (can't remember which one) ...maybe have that checked. Altho he isn't drive a GC ...but maybe it's a common thing on other vehicles as well? I dunno ...just an idea (it's a cheap fix if that's it).

Reply to
griffin

Well, dropped the ZJ off at the shop today, the guy took the pan off and said the fluid looked burnt, smelled burnt, was burnt, and the bands were definately slipping (it was barely noticable on the grocery runs)... so there she sits in the butcher shop until monday or tuesday I guess... Thanks to y'all for the ideas.

But on to the good news!

The wife's XJ saved the day! Carried us 400 miles round trip to Delaware and back, I bought the 'Vette, and carried the wife and kids home safely. All in all it was a productive day, now if I can just get the ZJ outta the xmission shop for under a G. Fat chance!

Jim "WA2FS4U" Zorin

'97 ZJ '00 XJ (lost the TJ to gamblers anonymous) '95 Competition Yellow 'Vette (30,000 miles)

Reply to
Zorin Inc.