Engine swap From 4.0L YJ to 4.0L Cherokee

I have a 1991 Jeep Wrangler. I am in process of swapping out the engine. I was told that the engine I purchased was a 91 4.0L from a Cherokee. It is 4.0L and everything looked great, until the sleeve for my pilot bearing would not fit the new cherokee pilot bearing hole. Mine is 1.05inches and it seams the cherokee pilot hole is roughly .99inch. So I started looking closer at this engine. It apears from the stamp on the block that it was manufactured in 94. Is this year engine compatible with the 91 ? The tranny is ax15, and the mounts look right, but before I go further (and purchase the new sleeve and pilot bearing) I want to be certain this will work. Thanks!

Reply to
jcarrington

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Those sound like the numbers I ran into when swapping out an BA 10/5 for an AX15 - the AX15 pilot shaft was several thou larger than the old POS. I wound up going to one of the local parts stores and getting a GM bushing that had the right inside hole and was as close as possible on the outside. Wound up chucking the bushing on an arbor in the drill press and using emory cloth to "polish" off about .010 .

Reply to
Will Honea