"Frontier pickup is all the truck most people need"

Nissan Frontier Crew Cab

Frontier pickup is all the truck most people need

Mike

I came to this opinion last year when I bought a 2006 Frontier King Cab 4x4 V-6 Automatic. It is not a bad truck, but I think the article overstates the trucks "goodness." After a year of driving the truck I have the following opinions:

Bad things:

1) Seats are horrible. The seats in our old Ranger are much better (so is the seating position) 2) Load carrying capacity is mediocre. On my farm we also have a 1999 Ranger 4x4. The Ranger will carry more than the Nissan without bottoming out the springs 3) Interior plastic attracts dust like crazy. Dust sticks to everything and is hard to remove. 4) Engine is powerful but completely wrong for a truck. When grunting around in a plowed field, the Ranger's much weaker V-6 is actually better. The Nissan V-6 is weak at the low end, but comes on like gang busters as the rpms increase. This usually results in a lot of wheel spin (and worn rear tires to prove it) 5) Chassis looks like it is made out of tinker toys compared to the Ranger. 6) Worst oil filter location I have ever seen 7) Way over priced compared to a Ranger (but not compared to a Tacoma, which is the most over priced pick-up on the planet). 8) Gas mileage is horrible. It is as bad as the 1992 F150 it replaced. 9) Jump seats are useless (again worse than in the 99 Ranger) and won't stay up (and yes, the dealer did apply the TSB to try and fix this problem).

Good things -

1) 4x4 system work great 2) OE Tires (BFG) are great 3) Looks good 4) Bed liner is nice 5) Solid feeling controls 6) Acceptable ride (but not any better than the Ranger) 7) Good power for around town driving 8) Very nice transmission 9) At least it cost less than a Tacoma

All things considered, I wish I had bought another Ranger. The Ranger design seems ancient now, but for the money it is a much better truck.

Reply to
C. E. White