finally finished the YJ!!

Well I finally finished her up.(only took 6 months of limited free time) From replacing the fenders, bumper, and assorted parts, to getting the new salvaged title then putting her on the road... done. Here are some pics if anyone is interested. walt

wallster

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

thanks Bill.

Reply to
wallster

Looks terrific! It's a bummer it has a salvaged title, it'd fetch big bucks on a resale. Enjoy the fruits of you labour.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

nice job, be proud of yourself.

Reply to
Dave Milne

i'm getting old, or it's too early in the morning. i opened the link, immediately thought "where the heck does this guy live to have that kind of snow piled up on june 10th???". then i noticed the other links.

anyway, excellent job!! nice grill!! i also never could figure why anyone thought tan and red went together. gray looks much better.

martin caskey millers island, maryland

Reply to
rmcaskey

Well done. Not hard to guess what your day job is. Good riddance to the dopey trim lines & graphics. The diamond plate and front chrome set it off nice. Now maybe a bit of a lift and some new tires?

Steve

wallster wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Very nice. Congratulations.

Question: Will the "salvage" title cause you problems when you want to sell it? Just wondering.

wallster wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Thanks. Usually you get around 80% of the actual value but it really depends on the vehicle. Because this is a '93 with 142k miles, i'll get whatever someone is willing to pay (the sharper looking, the more i can get for it because alot of younger buyers base most of their decisions on how "cool" it looks) I didn't buy it to sell though, I have a total of around $3500. into it and i'm gonna drive it into the ground. My kids are eyeing her up too... maybe they'll get it.

walt

Reply to
wallster

actually my daily job is the manager of a factory direct mattress store... but any time off is always spent fixing something up! thanks, walt

Reply to
wallster

I'm of the same mind when it comes to my `79 CJ-5, although mine is more of an amazingly life-like recreation than a true restoration. I didn't build it to sell and at the moment I've more money in it that I could possibly get for it, even on a dark night. In any case I plan on keeping it forever -- or until I no longer have a place to park it.

What I was wondering about the salvage title was if it would doom the vehicle to DMV inspections every time it changed hands or to insurance surcharges, and I really was just wondering without any background on the matter. I suppose it might depend on the state the sale was in.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

When I bought this jeep, it didn't have a title, just a receipt from the insurance company along with an application for registration or title. I sent the state of NY the filled out application, a description of the work that had been done, a paid sales tax receipt, and of coarse a check, $110. for all their trouble. They mailed me back a state inspection date (this took 6 weeks). When I transported the vehicle to the NYS inspection facility, They reviewed the receipts (for the replacement parts) and checked all used parts (with vin numbers) to verify i didn't use stolen parts. They inspected the work, stamped my paperwork, then a week later the state sent me a new title with "salvaged vehicle" stamped on it. Anytime the vehicle gets sold and registered it's the same as a regular title, just this salvaged vehicle stamp follows the vehicle so the next buyer knows that it had been paid off by an insurance company claim for one reason or another. If the vehicle was stolen, then recovered after the insurance company settled with the owner, it becomes a salvaged vehicle as well. (flood damage, accident, stolen,etc. they all end up as a salvaged vehicle) I know guys that will buy three vehicles. One hit lets say in the front right side, another hit on the left, and a third hit from behind. The idea is to repair two vehicles with one, then sell them. If they're done right, they look and drive fine but sell for less. It's a personal thing. I've owned three previously salvaged vehicles and they were all pretty nice, just worth a little less. I haven't had any problems with insurance, or registrations. This is all a little different depending on the State your in. I don't think i would do another though because it's a long process and it takes too much time not to mention all the work that needs to be completed. (but if i do the work i know it was done properly, so peice of mind is nice to have... and bragging rights!)

walt

Reply to
wallster