Ford 8.8 Swap

As I've posted before, I'm looking to do an axle swap, so when I upgrade my tires to 33s and regear, I do it right the first time. I found out today I can get an 8.8, drum to drum, with LSD, for $200 + shipping (I've been told that'll be about $200...). So, $400 for a "new" axle. I don't weld (don't have the equipment or know anyone that knows how), so I'd have to pay someone to weld on the perches for me. I was told that would be about $40 (cheap!). The kits are about $200, I believe (for new spring cups, shock mounts, etc).

By the time I sand it down, and put all new bearings in it -- I guess I'm looking at about $800+ anyway. I could get a super 35 kit for that much and have a detroit locker! Or, just save up a couple hundred more and get a brand new Dana 44 (minus gears, which I have to get new no matter what way I go -- unless someone has an axle with 4.88's or 4.56's sitting in there...).

Thoughts?

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

IMO one of the reasons for doing the 8.8 is for the disc brakes. If you aren't going to get a disc brake version, you are probably correct about just upgrading your current axle or getting a D44.

Here is my write up on the 8.8 if it helps, since you don't weld:

might help too. It is a bit more involved & confussing to read, but itgives a parts list break down for costs.http://members.cox.net/rockntj/Works/in_the_works.htm Make sure you get the correct axle with the bigger shafts if you are going to do it.

Good luck,

--James

Reply to
RocknTJ