D35c to Ford 8.8 Swap. Why bother?

I'm starting to do some research into changing the D35c axle to a Ford

8.8. I'm looking at the 8.8 because it seems to be a very common swap for the d35c on Tjs, because there's a ton of info out there on the net to do the swap and because I could probably get one fairly easily around here.

But....I just read on a website that the 8.8 uses c-clips. So what's the point of swapping it out. I thought the c-clips were the problem area in the d35c. Why would I want to go to the trouble of switchng to an 8.8 if it still uses the c-clips.

And can someone give me a detailed answer about how c-clip eliminators work?

Mike

98 TJ SE 3" Redneck Engineering Lift, 30 x 9.5 BFG ATs A bunch of home-made stuff.
Reply to
GzrGlide

L.W.(ßill)

That they're a c-clip design does not diminish the strength of the 8.8's axle shaft which is stronger than that of the Dana 44. It's an old wive's tale propogated by those that are either naive or know nothing about how a c-clip axle works. Remember that the c-clip is inside the housing, on the other side of the splines that are held by the gear carrier. So when the shafts break, they break between the housing and the hub flange, not at the c-clip itself.

The problem with c-clip axles is not with the c-clip itself, its that if the axle shaft does break, there is nothing left to hold the axle shaft and wheel to the housing... except if there is a disk brake caliper which will at least hold the broken shaft from sliding out of the housing.

So with a Dana 35c, the weakness is not with the c-clip itself, it's with the skinny axle shafts (weaker housing, smalller ring gear, etc.) and that the axle will slide out if the axle shaft breaks. The part where the c-clip goes doesn't break, that is protected by the gear carrier (case).

So a Ford 8.8 is actually quite a bit stronger than a Dana 44, like the recent Warn axle tests confirmed. In fact, Warn said the 8.8 was far stronger than expected.

Finally, the 8.8's c-clip eliminator kit is only designed for drag racers and the manufacturers of that kit strongly recommend against its use for other applications.

Jerry

But....I just read on a website that the 8.8 uses c-clips. So what's the point of swapping it out. I thought the c-clips were the problem area in the d35c. Why would I want to go to the trouble of switchng to an 8.8 if it still uses the c-clips.

And can someone give me a detailed answer about how c-clip eliminators work?

Mike

98 TJ SE 3" Redneck Engineering Lift, 30 x 9.5 BFG ATs A bunch of home-made stuff.
Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
twaldron

The key items that makes the 8.8 stronger are its larger diameter axle shafts and larger ring & pinion gears. I would assume its axle housing is stronger too. The 8.8 is a better conversion for a CJ/YJ because it's easier to bolt up due to them all being leaf spring designs. The 8.8 needs quite a bit more work (adding brackets for the control arms and trackbar) to prepare it for a coil sprung TJ.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

because they are 31 spline instead of 27.

im going to get rid of my NON C-CLIP dana 35 for one. and it will be an upgrade, no question.. the C-CLIPS do not fail! the shafts of the 35 do.

Reply to
Erik Litchy

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Nice to here since I just placed an order yesterday for Yukon one peice axles for my AMC 20

Reply to
Greg

Be aware that some aftermarket "one piece" AMC 20 axles are nothing more than cheap imports where they were originally two-piece axles that were cheaply welded and made to look like a one-piece axle. The only brand I truly trust is Superior Axle and to some extent, the less beefy Moser.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks for the link Bill. Appreciate it.

Mike

98 TJ SE 3" Redneck Engineering Lift, 30 x 9.5 BFG ATs A bunch of home-made stuff.
Reply to
GzrGlide

Thanks for the explanation Jerry! The search is on. Now if I can find an 8.8 with 4.88s and a LSD, that would make my day!

Mike

98 TJ SE 3" Redneck Engineering Lift, 30 x 9.5 BFG ATs A bunch of home-made stuff.
Reply to
GzrGlide

Reply to
twaldron
97 (96?) and newer Explorer and Mercury Mountaineers are good sources of the stronger 31 spline with disk brake versions.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
twaldron

I can't say other than to say it's about the right width for a TJ.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
twaldron

It's very slightly narrower than a TJ's axle... but with the typical backspacing of an aftermarket wheel, the wheels are about the same distance apart once mounted on the 8.8.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford